Sunday, March 6, 2016

Supplizio….A Bit Of Heaven In Roma



  Listen, I need to go back to Roma for a minute. There is something I need to share, and since it's rainy and we're inside today, what better time?

  There are a few blogs that are my 'Go-To' resources before heading back to Italy every year. As I'm planning everything from where to stay, what to drive, how to fly and especially..what/where to eat, I'll tap into these blogs and glean as much as I can. They are most current, and offer a wealth of information.
  I like to think that my blog has been informative to folks, from time to time….

  I had been aware of Supplizio for a year or two, but we hadn't had the opportunity to go until now. The small but adorable spot is known for it's contemporary take on the classic Roman street food, known as "suppli"…fried balls of rice, often stuffed with mozzarella, among other tasty things.

  Located at a crossroad of five small streets not far from Ponte Giuseppe Mazzini on the Colosseum side of the Tiber river, we had no trouble finding it…with our trusty old school paper map.


  



My latest definition of Heaven.


 Rome, as well as most of Italy, has a real thing for fried foods…hey, who doesn't? Here, these dishes are sometimes referred to as 'fritti'. You can find fried veggies, fish, stuffed squash blossoms…. and suppli all over. Sometimes it's hot and crispy, like tempura, sometimes it's plates of fritti that are room temperature…it all depends on the venue.
  Suppli are a bit different, as they aren't dipped in a batter, but crusted with bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese, sometimes. 
  They have other small bite treats on the menu, but we were there for suppli.

  We arrived a little early, but so glad we did. We were able to chat with the folks behind the counter, and take our time with our choices. It's a small, but comfortable place.



We took the couch, but there is also a counter to sit at that runs the length of the
wall to the right. I imagine most folks eat and go, or just 'take away'
to enjoy outside.



 We ordered some wine, asked what we, as vegetarians should order, shared some laughs with the staff…and sat back to see what the fuss was all about.
  
  




Fine so far... 





  We were presented with three different treats..The classic suppli, which are rice stuffed with mozzarella in a red sauce, patate croccante…mashed potato dumplings stuffed with a smoked cheese, and zucca polpette with pesto…winter squash cakes, sort of, on a smear of basil pesto.

  I'd say we hit the jackpot here. 






From the left, two plates of the squash polpette, then the third plate
has the suppli at the top, and the potato heaven on the bottom.
Sigh.






Potate croccante, I think I love you.





But…suppli, you are just as divine.
Really, could one ask for more?




Why, yes…one could.
 Winter squash polpette. Also amazingly good.



  On their Facebook page, I found lots of great photos, including some featuring an apè, the small three wheeled work trucks found all over Italy, which has been turned into a small but mighty food truck. Fantastic!  This is street food at it's best. 
  I have read that it's a little more pricey than other suppli places, but the quality here is top notch, the owner and staff so friendly and accommodating…a great experience all around.
  They do serve other items as well, so go hungry, friends.




Can you say  'SUPPLI'?








I certainly can!
We will be back many times, I'm sure…
Thanks, Supplizio!


  Want to go?
  Supplizio

No comments:

Post a Comment