Friday, April 22, 2022

Easter Walk

 

Easter Sunday was last weekend. 

Easter is a tough time for me these days, as it was one of my Mom's favorite holidays. We lost Mom last May, and it's been a few years since we've really celebrated Easter in any fashion, really.

When I was young, Mom would always make me an outfit for the Sunday service, and it was a major family day, with grandparents, good food, colored eggs being hidden and found...Easter baskets filled with treats...I think I'll miss Mom the most on Easter.

Anyway, we decided to get out and take in the beauty of the countryside on Easter day. A drive on the backroads to Montepulciano filled the bill. It was a pretty day, though windy, but I didn't want that to stop us.

I made a nice picnic lunch(open faced egg salad on grilled bread!), and we were on our way.

I'm nuts for a good hike up a hill, so we parked down below town, near the big cathedral.


Thanks for putting up with my walks, Johnny!

There were some nice details along the way. 


This is my favorite variety of iris.



I love the iron work. And the texture...




Just a couple of massive stone lions hanging out in someone's garden!




An old, out of control wisteria frames a gorgeous view.



Our only real plan was to get in a good walk, and enjoy a glass of Prosecco.



The old walls around the bottom of town.




We made it to the top of the town.

On our very first visit to Italy,  almost 20 years ago now, we stayed for a week in a wonderful farmhouse just outside of Montepulciano. It featured vegetarian meals and delightful company. 

We will always make a visit back to this hill town, every trip. We've seen it change, for sure, but it's still a special place in our hearts.




Johnny looking very....Johnny!




Our reward for the hike up to town!
I love pretzel letters...


We strolled a bit around town, then headed back to the car. 

The heavy winds we've had make for really clear days, with good views, all around. I'm ready for some warm weather, though...



The car is way down there somewhere.




A sweet chapel along the walk.




Mosaic detail inside the chapel.





Back down to the bottom of that particular hill.




I had a good cry or three, thinking about my Mom. I miss her terribly. Everyday. Knowing how much she loved visiting Italy with Dad makes me happy, though. I can send her some Italian vibes when I'm here, and chat to her about our adventures.

It was a nice day.

Here is a post from 2011 I wrote about Easter, Mom and my thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment