Thursday, April 18, 2013

Isola Polvese, A Day In The Sun




  
  Oh, the absolute joy of feeling warm sun on my skin! It really feels like a full body massage, after several weeks of cold, windy, wet weather.
  This past week has been heaven here in Umbria. Though we leave for home in a few short days, I am as happy as can be, seeing all the wisteria come into bloom, and the swallows circling non-stop around the piazza in Panicale. 
  So sweet, and just in time...

  So...since we have wanted to do it for weeks now, we decided to go for it on Monday, and hopped the ferry boat from San Feliciano out to Isola Polvese, about a 15 minute ride. 
  This island is the largest of the three on Lago Trasimeno, the lake we look at every day from the walls of Panicale.
  The lake is gorgeous this year, from the massive amounts of rain that has fallen since November. Fresh and clear, it is over three feet higher than last year. A spectacular time to be out on a boat, cruising the waves.




One exceptionally happy gal.


  As we pulled up to the docking area of the island, I was really taken by this line of trees on the near bank. They just looked so perfect with the rushes below, and the reflections.... making for a very photogenic shot.
  At least I think so.


Harmony in nature.



  There is a main area that features a hotel, sort of...I gathered that it is for hosting groups, conferences, that sort of thing. There is also an "ostello", or hostel, on the island, a short hike from the dock. The main attraction here is the natural beauty and a couple of castles to hike to. There is a beach area, too...and the requisite bar/cafe.

  We went to walk around, and for Johnny to paint. He loves the historical aspects, too.











Johnny is never as happy as when he is next to an old castle on an island.
 Must be a boy thing.




  While Mr. J was painting, I took my usual walk to see what trouble I could get into. I had seen on the little map that we had received before heading out, that there was an area with an aquatic plant garden. Interesting, to say the least. 
  It was really warm, and the hike was up, up, up....but when I arrived, I was so glad to have made the effort! This was an amazing find.

  Not what I had expected, I found a natural style swimming pool, with ponds surrounding it. The ponds were full of water lilies, water grasses and tons of frogs and toads. Green lizards everywhere, too.
  Of course, I was not supposed to go near it without a guide, but there was no one around, the gate was open....I couldn't resist going closer. And I wasn't really 100% sure what the sign said.....it was all in Italian (this would be my lame excuse, if I needed one).




So very, very tempting on a hot day.....



  Being almost good, I didn't strip down and dive in. But, man, did I want to. I didn't even put a toe in. I just slowly walked around the entire area, watching frogs dart and dash into the deep parts of the smaller ponds....
  I enjoyed hopping around on the big rocks myself.










  From what I could understand, the pool and ponds were created and constructed in 1959-60 by a famous Roman architect for the original owners of the hotel. But I could be wrong. They were built into an old quarry on the property. The pool area is surrounded by a very old olive grove, too.
  I just found the whole thing fascinating, as well as so unexpected.






Plus, killer views.


  After resisting the urge to jump on in, I hiked back to Johnny and we walked around the island, coming next to the hostel. Beautiful, we both agreed. 

  Fattoria Il Poggio is housed in a completely restored old farmhouse, and is one of the first environmentally friendly farms in Italy. It is large, and family friendly, with both private and communal areas for families to enjoy. 
  We both could totally imagine how peaceful it would be, with no cars or town noises around.... just birds and froggies.





Front door to Il Poggio, and just get a look
at that wisteria.


  Then we stopped to see another castle. There's always another castle.
  This is actually a very old church that is being restored, but from a distance we assumed it to be a castle..






  The views from the crest of the island were particularly stunning that day. It was so clear out, and the lake was like glass...
















  After the heat of the upper part of the island, it was so nice to work our way down into the wooded area near the shore on the northern side. 
  I loved seeing the large stones covered in moss and new fern growth. I want one for my garden.









  We stopped for a glass of wine before hopping back on the ferry to head back home. I had to get a parting shot of the reflections as we cruised by. 
  Johnny did some nice paintings on Isola Polvese, and I enjoyed the sunshine more than I can say. A great day that really felt like a "vacation" day. 
  One for the books!








  Oh, and to make it Johnny's dream day? On the way home we stopped for his favorite medieval bread, Torta al Testo....
  Now that's what I call one happy artist.





2 comments:

  1. Isola Polvese is a favorite of ours. We always do the walk right round the island. Your photos are great. Wish we were there. Not long now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be in Panicale in a little over 2 wks and it's nice to know Johnny & Janelle have ordered up some nice weather for us!

    ReplyDelete