Friday, November 22, 2013

Sigh. Yet More Gnomes...




 I know.
 Last year I went and made a big old proclamation on this blog post about not doing this ever again. I know.  
 But I'm weak. I'm so very,very weak…
  I can't let a perfectly good, easy-as-pie photo opportunity pass me by. Especially if no one is around, and I'm not crossing into the territory of trespassing (read last year's post, you'll understand).

 I'm talking about all those damn gnomes out there just waiting for their 15 minutes, people!
 They just keep on showing up, tempting me with their oh-so-sheepish grins and perfectly aged patina! They soundlessly beg me to whip out my camera!
  They mock me.

  All this off my (now heaving) chest, I give you this year's crop of little fellows in all their glory.
 And may I just say, for the record…
  I doubt it will ever be the last time.




  Early on in our visit, we took a drive over to Chianciano Terme, just across the border in Tuscany. In the past, we had always admired this hill town from the road, as we drove past, on our way to Montepulciano. It was on the list this year, and we had a nice lunch and great walk all around town. 
  Then the sky opened up, it thunder/lightening and poured rain…and we ran home with our tails firmly tucked betwixt our thighs. 
But, before all that, I spotted my first gnomes of 2013:



You know, I just love that so many of these fellows are drunkards.



I guess his partner in crime is more a leprechaun, but I'll give him his space here.
And what/who is he looking for??? He's got the crazy-eyes, man!!





  The next two are in rough shape, but I still love them. They stand guard on either side of a driveway  near the train station in Castiglione del Lago. I guess in time, most of the color will come from the various lichens growing all over their bodies...








Not sure if these are cool, or just kind of creepy...






  At one point, I thought I might do an entire post of Gnomes Behind Bars. There are so many of them in gardens or courtyards, behind cyclone-type fences. I have learned(the hard way) that in most cases, there is also a big, nasty, barking dog behind the fence, keeping people like me from coming near. It makes "getting the shot" a whole lot more difficult, since I have to get up close and put the lens through the fence, and I just don't want to get busted again.
  This was a super easy one though, and he's just so cute.




Hi, there, Big Boy. You gonna show me the light?
Yeah, I bet you will.








Came upon these at an agriturismo we visited, one day.
Gnomes seem to love gardening.




Another working gnome, looks like gardening is his game, too.
I really love his snail hat, and want one of my own.




What?!? Another gardening gnome? Well, it must run in the family, or something.
He lives with his pal below, under a staircase in Cetona. 


Livin' large, in a wheelbarrow, under the stairs.





  It's nice that most folks don't leave it at just one gnome. They usually get a pal to keep the first one company. Of course, we all know what this will eventually lead to.




You start with one, and then, because he looks so lonely, you find a friend.
It's a nice setup for everyone.




The guitar player would look silly, all by his lonesome, right?
It only makes sense to bring him someone to enjoy the tunes...




  And then, before you know it…
  The gang's all here:


Sette Nani!
Throw in Snow White, a naked cherub and some barnyard poultry…
You have yourself  a party!



 Another full group sighting, sort of:


This is classic… there are seven fellows, sure, but two are "twins"….
She doesn't seem to mind, though.




  
  I do have to say, it's hurtful to see my pals being used as trendy occasional pieces….
Philippe Starck? Really? Does it always have to come to this?
  Give me a break.





Oh, the horror, the horror….



  Until spring, I'll just look back at these images and remember the joy each and every Gnome Moment brought me. And I'll plan my attack for the next crop.
  Trust me. There are plenty more where these came from.










No comments:

Post a Comment