Thursday, March 16, 2023

Settling In To Our Routine...


We've been here in Umbria now for almost a week. Travel takes a toll on me every time. This time, I woke up with my sinuses on fire. I have super sensitive sinuses, and the change in environment can cause havoc. There's smoke, dust, dryness, weird smells from the wet fields....anyway, I tucked in for a day or two to just get some rest and get over the jet lag, as well.

It's been nice to reacquaint ourselves with The Nut...I'm doing some cooking at home, and Johnny loves chopping wood for the Jotul wood burning stove. I wish we could keep our house in California as warm as we are here!



Our first dinner at home...



I feel almost 100% now, and we've been enjoying getting together with pals, walking and driving around to some favorite spots. I'm getting into a morning routine like at home in California...up early for my workout, coffee, then Johnny gets up and we take a nice morning walk in the 'hood.

The weather has been off and on rain and sun, but it's also really windy and cold. It's March.





The weather makes for some lovely light and clouds...






Heading out for a morning walk this week.





Our road to the main road down the hill...





They have redone many of the country roads here since we last visited!
It's so spiffy now...





I never get tired of walking down this driveway to the local
fruit and veg store. It's just a great walk from our place.





You can get a good idea of the weather this last week...
The sun has come out now!






The green fields and grey skies make me swoon...


Of course we have made a visit to our favorite local pizza place! It's noit Rome, but it's really good, and we love the family that runs this little spot...




My fave...onion pizza.





Johnny likes the pizza with arugula...


I have done some cooking, of course, and plan to do a lot more...so stay tuned!

This was dinner the other night when it was really windy, wet and cold:



Olive oil and smashed garlic cloves in the baking pan...




A lovely "Romanesco" cauliflower...




Add a good bunch of chopped marjoram, salt and pepper 
to the garlic...




Add some thin sliced red onion, the chopped cauliflower, and toss well...
Pop into a 375-400 degree oven.

While the veg were cooking, I made a pot of really rustic polenta I had found locally. I just followed the directions. It was slow cook, and took about 45 minutes. At the end I tossed in a nice chunk of butter and some grated parmesan. Because....why not?



This was a beautiful product to work with.
I'll make more soon!




Pull the veg out when they are done to your liking.
I like ours with a little char on the edges.


A glass of wine poured, some simple undresses salad greens on the side, and that was that. A perfect meal for an evening in March...

I'm going to enjoy cooking here!





 

Oh, and that other much beloved routine...popping up to our local drinking hole for a late afternoon sip...

We're settling in.






No comments:

Post a Comment