Saturday, May 6, 2023

A Day On The Island...


We have been waiting for a nice day to take one of the boats out to one of the islands on the local lake, Lago Trasimeno. 

This week, after two months of so-so weather (read: grey.wet.cold.windy...), we have been blessed with a few lovely spring days! Yay!! I mean, I actually wore my flip flops and took off my puffy vest! What!?!

So...we figured we risk it, and hop the boat to Isola Polvese, the largest of the three islands on the lake. It was sunny, almost warm, but quite windy...we still went for it.




I love the flag on the back of the boat....




Johnny was happy to have a chance to paint on the island...




I did eventually take off my puffy vest...but it was a cool ride over.




Not the sunniest of opur nice days, but still pretty good!



Once we got off the boat, we set out to walk along the shore of the lake. It was windy enough to cause little waves, and it actually sounded like walking along the ocean back home in California...




Waves "crashing" on the shore of the lake...
Ok, maybe not really "crashing"...


We always enjoy walking on the island. There isn't much developement, so you get a real feel that you are out in nature. We spotted these odd ducks just cruising around...




I guess they are ducks...?
Really nice coloring, whatever they are.


Fortunately, the day got warmer and nicer as we strolled along. It turned into a very lovely afternoon.





There are lots of olive trees on the island.





We've been out here many times, and it's always nice and quiet. I remembered that there was an interesting water feature at the top of the island, and I wanted to see if we could get close to it. The last few times we were here, the gates were all closed and you couldn't really see it.

On this trip, the gates were wide open! I was happy to get right in there and check it out...


The main pool of the feature.


The pool and garden were constructed in the late 1950's, early 1960's by Pietro Porcinai. It was created to be a natural swimming pool with ponds for water plants, etc.

Now, it's overgrown with weeds and I doubt anyone uses it now, but it's wonderful to see frogs, birds and lizards enjoying the place!




Seen from above. I'm standing on a big rock cliff...






Amazing views from all angles of this fascinating area..
I would love to swim in the pool...there's a really deep part.




The picture I took from above, was taken up on that cliff.



After visiting the water garden, we kept walking so Johnny could find a nice spot to set up and paint.










All the spring wildflowers are out now, and I couldn't help taking a photo of this "Two Lip"
It reminds me of one of those Dali "Lip Chairs"!



It was so nice just seeing all the color...










Huge wild fennel...like six feet tall!


There are a few ruins on the island, and we always try to visit them all...



There is a church, and a monastery, as well as castle type building.





While johnny set up to paint nearby, I went exploring the "Nature/Eco" center






Johnny getting a painting started.
I'll put a link below for you to check out what he's 
been painting on this trip.


When Johnny is painting, I usually take a walk or read...I just thought this wacky reflecting ball was kind of fun...








Mirror Shot!!


After painting, we just kept moving on, eventually stopping to enjoy the pic-nic I made with a glass of wine at one of the small bars on the island...




Part of one of the ruins...It's so beautiful.











I just find these old olive trees to be amazing souls...




You can see how wild it is out on this island...





Johnny with his painting kit on hand.



I copied this bit, below, from Wikipedia...

"The island was visited by the Etruscans and the Romans. In the Middle Ages, the inhabitants submitted to Perugia. During that period, some churches and a castle were erected to protect and defend the village. Monks of the Benedictine and Dominican orders were present on the island. In 1841, the island became private property and was used as a hunting area. In 1973, the Province of Perugia acquired Polvese Island."





Always mind blowing to be up close to these medieval castles!




A wonderful sculpture made of branches.
We've never seen this here before. Very cool!


We enjoyed our little lunch, some good walking and painting, and then caught the boat back to the mainland in time for an aperitivo with pals. All in all, a very nice day on the island!





Ciao, Isola Polvese! We'll be back soon!!

 


To see what Johnny has been painting here on this spring 2023 trip, visit my other blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment