Friday, May 27, 2022

La Zucca...Lunch In Venice



Back in late April early May, we were in Venice for several days checking out the Biennale. We try to make it every two years and love the opportunity to see so much amazing modern art. I feel exceptionally fortunate that we have made this happen fo so many years.

I love Venice. I know many people who don't, and that's fine. For me, Venice is just so beautiful and 'other- worldly' that I am more than happy to put up with the crowds and whatever other inconveniences there may be. I love Venice.

Ok. Back to this post, which is about food.

When we made our very first trip to Venice in 2007, I did my research and found out about La Zucca. It is well known and you need a reservation. We wanted to try it because it has a strong leaning towards vegetarian dishes and it has always had great reviews.

We hadn't been to La Zucca in a long time, so I was really pushing to have lunch there on this trip. We made a reservation a few days before, and we were ready to enjoy! (we did!)




I asked for a table outside. I was glad I did. It was perfect weather for dining "al fresco".


It was really busy, totally full and we did have to wait for awhile before ordering. It was all good, because the people watching is most entertaining here. The outside tables are next to a very bust walkway. 


We had ourselves a good time while waiting for our dishes...




They always do a nice bread basket.


We ordered the hummus plate as a starter, along with a nice white wine and water. The hummus was excellent. The flavor was a little cumin, a little garlic a lot of sesame. But not too much. The roasted peppers were a revelation here. I'm never serving hummus without roasted peppers! The texture was wonderful, especially with the scattering of seeds on top.






Next came our main dishes. Johnny had a vegetarian combo plate and I had to order their famous Zucca flan. We also shared some stuffed mushrooms.

I have to say, it was all very good. 






The flan is great. The flavor is kind of like pumpkin pie, but savory because of the salty cheese. There is nutmeg, maybe some cinnamon...delightful.










Mushrooms stuffed with a heavenly blend of mushroom, onions, cheese, maybe bread..
Yum.



Johnny's veg platter was a mix of several of the contorni (side dishes) that were on the menu. It's a great way to have many tastes on one plate. He loved having a scoop of white rice to go with it all.






We took our time and enjoyed every bite. No dessert, but we did have espresso at the end. 




Job well done!

 

I would highly recommend making a reservation here if you plan to visit Venice. La Zucca is a little hard to find, but you won't be sorry!

1 comment: