Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pizza In Rome- REMO!

  Well, I normally will choose pasta over pizza pretty much every time. That being said, when the pizza has a very thin, crispy edged crust, I'll enjoy. And the simpler, the better when it comes to toppings. I should mention that I'm a vegetarian. I do dairy, though.
  Anyway, when we decided to spend a few nights in Rome before heading up to Umbria on this recent trip, I did some restaurant research. I had booked an apartment (through www.vrbo.com)  in the Testaccio neighborhood. Wouldn't you know, the highly recommended Pizzeria da Remo was right across the little park from our apartment. Oh, joy! We stayed 5 nights, and had dinner twice at Remo.
  This place is super casual, with lots of young people and folks from the neighborhood coming in and out...some just getting pizza to take away. We enjoyed sitting front and center to watch the magic behind the counter. The guys (mostly guys) waiting tables and working the counter were a hoot. You could tell these fellows have been here for a long time. One  sweet gentleman did speak a little English, and with my minimal Italian language skills, we had a grand time. The place really rocked after 8pm. As in most Italian eateries, no one minds if you camp out for as long as you want, so with grins plastered on both our faces, we just hung out and watched the show.



  The pizzas were amazing. I had a classic Margharita, and Johnny had one with zucchini flowers, rape, and mozzarella. The crusts are almost as thin as flour tortillas, and they cook them in a wood burning oven with super high heat, so the crust gets nice and charcoaled on the edges. I noticed lots of people folding the slices like a sandwich. The sauce is spread on thin, but is so tasty they don't need much. They use buffalo mozzarella, and it was mild and creamy.
  I want Remo Pizza RIGHT NOW.....please...

No comments:

Post a Comment