Monday, April 11, 2011

Spring Springing In My Yard

  As I mention in my first post, I need an outlet while waiting for the next trip. My husband Johnny and I just returned from 5 weeks in Umbria, and it's been really hard getting back into the day to day. I know, "poor you"... I don't want to come off all whiney, so forgive me. I feel really fortunate to have made the trip, and to have a sweet home and garden to come back to. I can't help the guilt, I was raised Catholic.
  Anyway...one thing that has made it a whole bunch easier getting the feet back to the ground is my garden...a lot happened in the garden while we were away. I was told it rained quite a bit in March, and it shows. Everything is on the brink of a major explosion. I just wish I had put in favas before we left. I think it's too late now. 2 years ago, I had a nice little patch of fava beans. They are so pretty, and good for the soil. I harvested enough to make 2 nice batches of fava puree for crostini. Yum. The veg garden isn't very big, but I enjoy having a few tomato plants, lettuces, potatoes, herbs...the basics.
 
  Here are a few shots Johnny took yesterday..
  

                                          
Looking over the veg garden towards the potting shed. The spots of magenta are "Hansa", a rugosa rose.


I love my japanese maples..the painting studio is through the gate. 
                                      

The veg garden through the rose arbor. This arbor has "Buff Beauty" climbing it.
  All the roses are well budded, with lots of new red growth. In a couple of weeks it will be fantastic. I like to tell people that the garden looks stunning for about 10 minutes, and then ...well, then we wait for next year!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment