Thursday, March 26, 2020

My Garden Is Saving Me...Always



    I love looking out my kitchen window at the view onto the back garden. I watch the birds taking their baths, the squirrels running along the tree branches, the sun shifting as clouds go by. 
  It's a great place to just stand and enjoy... as I make coffee in the morning, make my lunch (when I'm working), or wash dishes in the sink just below the window I took this photo through...


Looking through the kitchen window.




  I'm so thankful to have my garden during this stressful time we are all going through.
  I've said it here many times before...my garden is my touchstone, my passion, a twenty+ year love affair I don't think will end anytime soon. It's small, but mighty, and never ceases to surprise me.
  My garden saves me over and over.

  As you can imagine, now that I'm not able to work, because of Covid-19, I'm spending the most time I've spent in years in my garden. Every day, as long as it isn't raining or too cold, I'm out there doing all sorts of little chores. It's helping me get through the stress of being out of my routine. My garden is now my routine, and I'm so happy!
  I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can sit and soak up the sunshine, while relaxing with a book and a glass of wine. 
  Until then, I bundle myself up and head out as soon as we get back from our early morning walk. Before I know, it's well past mid-day. Luxury! Thanks, you wicked virus...for sending us back home from Italy, and for keeping me from work. I'm trying to see the 'silver lining' in this whole mess...and that would be my garden.

  So, over the past couple of weeks, I've been taking some pictures, and I'll be taking lots more throughout the spring. It's the first time in ten years I've been home for spring, and I've forgotten how much goes on here...I can't wait to see what happens next!

  Our property isn't really big, but I've split it into different areas, and they are really the 'bones' of the garden.




Near the "Dining Pavillion"



The path from the front gate to the back areas...


Near the back gate and veg garden.
The veg garden is going away, soon...



A mash-up of roses, dianthus and euphorbias


  Over the last twenty plus years, this garden has seen many changes. Nowadays, it's all about what works best without much water or fuss. I rely heavily on succulents, euphorbias, hellebores...and repeat, repeat, repeat what does well. 
  Still, there are so many little details that I adore...and that I normally don't see now, because of our spring travels to Umbria.


I forgot about this combo.



I love the pelargoniums with the big succulents.



Sweetness.

A gift from a friend who died many years ago.
I love this kitty.




Those darn succulents and euphorbias again.


All of my Japanese maples are in containers.
Our soil doesn't work for them.

Detail of the new growth.
I love this!


I used to have these monsters all over the garden,
but now I only allow two or three to take hold.



Close up, the flowers are gorgeous...it's just that they reseed everywhere,
and get huge! Geranium "Maderenese"



One of several pots of begonias coming on...wheeeeeee!



Have I mentioned that I love my succulents?



Ok, these bulbs are all over the garden!
I sort of remember planting a couple, but had no idea how they
had gotten around! Again, I never see them bloom anymore! Until this year...



Fuchsias can be such a pain, so I just have this one, really.
I love the new growth.


I just let the euphorbias grow where they want, for the most part.
When this apricot rose blooms, it will be so lovely.


I really am enjoying seeing all the new rose growth coming on!



The stunning "Sombreuil" ...one of my favorite roses, ever.
I. CAN. NOT. WAIT...to see her in  her full glory!
This is just an early bloom.



This Viburnum, whose variety I can't remember, has the 'most beautiful new growth.
She's getting all budded up, too!



My pal Tasha gave me a cutting of her plant, and I have
no idea of it's name, but I love it, and have a few around the garden now.
I just think it's so elegant.


More of the blue, sweetly perfumed bulbs that are all over.
I'm pretty sure this is a type of Hyacinth...?

Yeah, yeah...more succulents.
Hey, why not?


I snuck the tiniest bit of this ice plant/succulent, and it really took off.
It will bloom bright pink, but I love it just like this, too.


Last shot of succulents, for now.
Some of my really big ones are getting ready to bloom,
so stay tuned!

  And earlier today, before it got cold and windy...I was all up in the greenery, doing what I love to do best.
  Ahh, gardening. It's really my joy!
  (Just don't pay attention to my, umm, work clothes.)





One down, one to go!
Usually, I would let my garden helper, Pedro, do these big old shrubs,
but I couldn't resist! We keep them a little 'tight'.


  Last shot...our big beautiful tree in the light of the setting sun. We are so lucky to have a big tree on our rather small lot, and we love watching it change through the seasons.
  She's just starting to leaf out...teeny tiny bits of green.





  So, I'll keep posting as spring moves along. There's going to be lots to share, I do believe.
  Stay safe out there in the 'real world', my friends-

2 comments:

  1. I love your garden so much. And I know the peace that working in a garden can bring. I look forward to more photos as the spring progresses. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete