Friday, June 10, 2011

The Trouble With Gnomes



  Sure, they're sort of cute, very kitschy, maybe even collectable at some level. But when you begin to see them popping up a bit too often, you have to ask yourself  "What the..."? So I did ask myself. And a few others, too.
  My curiosity was piqued while we were driving around while in Umbria. Our M.O. was to just pick an area to go check out, and drive. On the way we might find a great place to stop for Johnny to paint, or maybe find another awesome place to have a bite to eat. As the perpetual passenger, I was able to stare out the window, enjoying the scenery. I began to notice that the Gnome was a regular visitor in many a garden. Especially the characters from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Ms. White, in all her Glory.

Me thinks this is Bashful, but I love what he's done with his hat & shoes!

Workin' so hard...

Classic "Doc".

I saw lots of these guys that had duel purpose of
greeter/light keeper. Oh, and Strawberry Presenter.

  The Seven Dwarfs, known as "Sette Nani" in Italian, were not the only small, slightly creepy guests in these gardens. There could be strange little men with chianti bottles, or stoned looking dudes... even lovable characters from old black & white movies.

This was a drive-by shot...but I could not resist.

Really?

Hellooooo....

  I became obsessed.
  Poor Johnny... I went from the passenger who hums along with Italian Top 40 radio, to the passenger who screams "STOP! There's another one! I have to get a picture!" He was such a trooper, though.
  And strangely patient.
  Secretly, I think he would really like a little Gnome party going on in our garden, but that's a whole other blog. Enough said.
 When I asked a couple of locals what the deal was with the Gnomes, they all had the same response:
 "I don't know who these people are, I don't know ANYONE who has these things, I do not understand this thing."
  It was hysterical. And yet, here they are, in living color. And these are but a few of the pictures I took. AND this was in a 20 mile radius, for the most part. I loved it. It became a fun scavenger hunt, without having to knock on strangers doors. Though I did feel odd (dare I say creepy) when we would pull up to a house and I would jump out to get the shot. I ended up taking lots of photos as we slowly drove by... what with the barking dogs and grandmas giving me the evil eye. A big smile does go a long way.

So what's the trouble with Gnomes? I just can't get enough...
I don't know for sure, but I think this guy is up to no good.
These two buddies were in the middle of an apartment parking lot.
 You tell me. Looks like a get-away attempt, BIG time.
LOVE LOVE LOVE the pup in the background.
 And the fact that this guy is tied up.
The Money Shot! Jackpot..


2 comments:

  1. A little known fact in Gnome Lore is there was a time when living in Italy was too dangerous for the gnomes. They were disappearing at an alarming rate (it was suspected that they were being used for bait… but that’s another chapter). Many were seen with a pasta maker, tin of olive oil and packet of heirloom tomato seeds stuffed in their knapsack, fleeing north. Remarkable, most made it to Germany and were warmly greeted by distant cousins carrying rather large steins of beer and singing oom pah pah songs. While most of the refuge gnomes settled in and around Hamburg, several disgruntled folk slipped aboard the ferry and continued journeying to Ireland. ~ excerpt from Chapter 7, Gnome Lore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who can recommend to me the best product among those in the list on this site?
    funny garden gnomes

    ReplyDelete