Saturday, July 9, 2011

Questa Vecchia Casa (This Old House)



  One afternoon Johnny and I took a little drive into the countryside outside of Panicale. He was looking for somewhere to set up and paint, while I was just stoked that it was such a gorgeous and warm day. As beautiful a day as you could ask for. I knew I would be taking a nice long walk while he painted. What I didn't know was that it would be an adventure, too.
  One thing I love about Italy, (if I had a dollar for every time I thought these words... well, I'd have a place in Italy) is that you don't see fences very often. I mean out in the countryside. I think I've mentioned this in an earlier post. You can walk all over the place and nobody minds. It's so great for someone like myself. I love to explore. Mind you, I am always a respectful guest. 

Checking out the old orchard on an old property.

  So, as Johnny was getting into the zone with his work, I wandered off in the direction of an old farmhouse that was being renovated. It was over that-a-way, and a good long stroll. No workers around, so I had the place to myself. They were doing a nice job. Really great old beams and original looking floors...it was a blast walking through all the unfinished rooms. I love how they drill these channels in the stone to install the wiring so you won't see it once it's plastered over. I could tell where the kitchen would be with it's killer view. The living area had a fireplace going in. It was all too good. I even ventured up the stairs a little, but my older self told me to "come back down from there", so I listened.
  I moseyed on back to where Johnny was, or had been. He had set up a little further down the road to start another painting. I decided to go in the opposite direction, to see what I could find. I walked around the corner, past a large stand of Italian Cypress trees, through an old orchard in full bloom and onto an old property that looked very interesting.


I'm sorry, but I can't resist you.


  I had to get a closer look. There were no doors or windows really, so I just carefully went inside. It was amazing. All the rooms had old doors and windows stacked against the walls. That's where they were! It was either being worked on, or it was storage for a large project that was going on nearby. One room had floors covered in straw for sheep, I think. The straw was all matted down.

Careful, lady.
   I was being extra good about where I placed my feet. I wanted to see as much as I could, but I sure didn't want to break or move anything. What I really wanted to do was back a pick-up truck next to it and start loading in all the fantastic stuff I was seeing.
  Note to Whomever: I would NEVER really do this. Truly, not my thing.

  Then I looked up.

Whaaaaa!
   The ceilings were once painted, and now just barely held onto the memory of another time. They were so beautifully done, with color that still had amazing richness.  It was so easy to imagine the music, the voices, the clothes, the sounds and smells coming from a kitchen down the hall.
  I kept thinking that someone had to come along and kick me the hell out of there. In really intimidating Italian, il piu certamente!


Beyond the beyond.

  I ventured in a little further, careful, careful. There were stairs leading to a second floor, but I'm no dummy. All I could think of was how freaking mad Johnny would be if I broke my head, or worse, somehow destroyed someone's property. The stairs were gorgeous, the light amazing. And all the architectural goodies just laying around. I'm thinking "Italian Pickers" the whole time I'm in this place.


Another lovely ceiling



The room with straw on the floor... the sheep bedroom.

  While I was poking around, a truck came by with 3 young men. Probably working guys. They just gave a wave and went on their merry way. It was lunch time, after all.
   I wish I had done a little more exploring inside, but as adventurous as I am, I really didn't want to be doing anything wrong. I felt lucky to have had the good fortune to see as much as I did. 

More stuff.
  Outside, the gardens were clean and kept up. Around back it looked as though there were sleeping quarters for the work men that must have been somewhere near by. For me, it was the ultimate little afternoon adventure. I felt I had stumbled into another era. I stopped and just listened. The sounds of so many birds filled the air. Walking all around the property I could sense the pride of place it must have had at one time... and from the looks of it, would hopefully have again sometime soon. 
  If this place is just "storage" for some other project, it would be a shame. There was a feeling of nobility here... I look forward to returning to this spot next year, just to touch base and see what's going on. In the meantime, I look fondly and with much longing at these photos. My secret adventure on a sunny spring day in Umbria.













No comments:

Post a Comment