Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Countdown Begins.....


  The eve of the New Year. 
  I'm going out and dancing my way into 2012 so I can shake off some of the energy that is building in me day by day. The Panicale countdown will officially start at midnight! With this knowledge firmly wedged in my back pocket, may I take a few moments to share some of why I can't wait?
  I know, I know, be here now... but it's sooooo hard. This morning we were watching the little movies we made last year, like we hadn't seen them already dozens of times. Oooo-ing over the sounds of the birds and the churchbells, while reliving the moments like they were just happening.
  When it gets like this for me, it's time to whip out some beauty shots, and just climb right in. These are  pictures that really convey what comes to my mind when I dream of Umbria. The light, the subtle textures and colors of the season, that smoky haze from olive trimmings being burnt. So much beauty that my heart wants to stop, just thinking about being back in it again. It does skip beats, I swear. That feeling of excitement mixed with a kind of poignancy. 
  I need a soundtrack.



View across the valley towards Lago Trasimeno, barely there in the upper left corner.



A stunning ruin on the walk to Paciano. The colors in this floor me.

The other-worldly landscape of the Italian countryside.



 Painting in process. Can't wait to see what paintings come from the 2012 trip!

Sunset from Panicale. 

Panicale skyline.
   Sometimes we come across little vignettes...moments in time that just need to be captured. We really like to walk the back streets and white roads, peek into abandoned buildings, generally poke around as much as we can. As I've posted before, there is an incredible sense of freedom to roam where ever you want to. Always with respect, of course. Never know what you may stumble upon...


Really? Can't I sneak just one into my rucksack to put in my garden at home? (No, I wouldn't...)

My kind of decorating..

Another find as we wandered a back pathway behind the main part of town.

  When I imagine the countryside around Panicale, I see these dream-like scenes, shrouded in a hazy elegance created by the nearness of Lago Trasimeno, and the olive tree clippings being burned. Early in the morning, the effect creates an incredible opportunity for photos. It's all about the light, man.



The geometry of the agriculture is pure photo heaven.

Monochromatic magic.

  And we can't wait to be back in our favorite watering holes, whether for due bicchieri di vino at sunset, or due cappuccini in the early hours of the day... Such a good way to catch up with the locals, or just relive the day we had. Nice to know there is this sweet routine. We love our regular spot in Panicale, but also have fun discovering little places in near by towns.



A favorite of ours at sunset time. We can take our glasses up to the nearby veterans memorial park to watch
the sun go down over Lago di Chiusi.

 Bar Gallo in beautiful Panicale. Our local spot, and the heart of this small town.
 We'll be seeing you soon...! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. you got it real bad. I wore myself out this morning looking online at virtual umbria. I cannot afford anymore than 1500.00 month.. what sayest thou sweet janelle .. the panicale lover!

    ReplyDelete