Monday, April 8, 2013

Osteria Il Gallo Nel Pozzo: Another Fine Dinner



  Johnny and I had another great dinner at Simone & Lorena's Osteria several nights ago. We both were so ready for the warmth and conviviality of this very local favorite.
  I had scoped out the latest menu, as they are cooking seasonally, and saw a bunch of vegetarian things to try. I like this place a lot. Lorena, wife and chef, always features something different from the norm.
We dressed up a little bit, and walked the very short distance to Il Gallo Nel Pozzo.

  As always, we were happily greeted by both Simone and Lorena...they are so nice. Simone sat us and let us know the specials. We are happy to report that the menu features many options for us non-meat eaters, and Simone helps with suggestions, including wines. He really knows his Umbrian wines.



Fresh, crispy breadsticks and yummy bread to begin....



A special treat, wine from Montefalco, and a great year, too.


  My chic for a starter was easy. "Millefolglie di Parmigiana di melanzane al forno".
  Sort of a stacked eggplant parmesan...only really caramelized, with a sweetness to die for. I loved it.




Really good.

  Johnny totally surprised me by ordering "Uova al tegamino con creme  di tartufo bianco".
  Yes, a fried egg( 2) with home made cream, white truffle and extra virgin olive oil infused with truffle.
  We had never had anything like this...the egg yolk was so pretty...orange, and bright. The truffle, sliced super thin, was plentiful. It is a classic combination here, and this was exceptional.



It was a beautiful thing......


  Yeah, we had more coming. This is why I have now, even after being so sick, packed on a whole bunch of pounds. And happy to do so. We just don't get to eat like this back home!

  Anyway...
  For our main pasta dishes, I couldn't resist the gnudi. I love gnudi. These are little bundles of love....In this case, spinach and ricotta "dumplings" tossed with a butter and sage sauce...toasted pinenuts to finish. Yummy.



So glad I'm over that damn stomach flu.

  Johnny's pasta choice was something I want to go back for. Special ravioli stuffed with Sicilian sheep cheese and served with an amazing pistachio sauce. A Sicilian specialty, as Lorena is from that region. 
  Lorena also brought us a small bowl of pickled spring garlic shoots...her Grandmother's recipe. Sweet and sour, they were sublime and so unexpected. We ate them before I could get a photo....


Johnny loved this, and I will order it next time...

  We almost forgot that we had also ordered a side dish, but thankfully, Lorena remembered! I was so glad, because it was so freaking good.
  For the most part, I think these are little quenelles of local cauliflower, boiled, and mixed with parmesan. No egg or bread. Then topped with a scarmorza cheese, popped under the broiler...presto. Simple, luscious. I will try to recreate this at home.




So silky...so tasty..must have more!


  At this point we didn't need a sweet finish, but what the hell...we're on vacation.
  Johnny had a poached pear with a wine reduction sauce and amoretti... 







  I, on the other hand, had my favorite treat of Lorena's..cannoli, Sicilian style, of course. Like nothing else in town. She follows all the old traditions here. Perfect, again.








  We loved our meal. We will return again and again. Massive thumbs up, all around!
  As you can see below, we were a couple of very happy campers.








No comments:

Post a Comment