Friday, May 10, 2013

Help In The Garden



  What do I miss most when we are away for weeks and weeks? 
  My Family.
  My Garden. 
  Cheese Enchiladas.
  
  Upon arriving home after eight weeks away last year, the garden had exploded with weeds, bugs and general unruliness. My dearest pal Tasha was a trooper. She came by often to check on things and throw a little water around. My dearest neighbor, Loreen, came over (unbeknownst to me) several times to try and keep some semblance of order. I appreciated this beyond the beyond...really. They are the best garden pals ever. I love them.  
  But.... I just can't expect anyone, no matter how grand a friend, to really "garden" my garden while I'm gone. Way too much to ask. This year I decided to hire a pro.
  Hence the phone call to Pedro, a wonderful gardener and all around cool fellow that works in several gardens I know well. I know his work is fantastic, and I knew it was time for me to finally bite the bullet and cry "Uncle". 
  Thank you, Pedro. You are my new BFF. Seriously.

  We got in from the airport late at night, but first thing the next morning, I was up and out to connect with my garden....
  


I knew all was good just looking out the kitchen window......



  The front area looks spectacular...roses all around the arbors and front door....what a treat to come home to. Last year the roses were already spent, and full of all things icky for roses. I'm so happy to see everything looking so fine.
  




Front entry way is just coming into bloom.




I love this rose, "Polka".
 That's "Flower Girl", trained as a standard, in the foreground.


  It's been hard for me to hand over my garden to someone else. I am a control freak, I'll admit it. I hardly let Johnny do anything in the garden. But....I can't do it anymore. At least not everything, and not the way I used to. 
 I'll say it right here. Right now.
 I am no longer Gardening Super-Woman. Whew. There. I feel so free.

  Now....if I can only make sure dear Pedro will be able to keep helping. He's a busy dude.




Just shaping those two large shrubs would kill me these days.

  The back yard, not so big, but just so full, is a huge chore. What a treat to come home with all the paths raked, and everything nicely groomed...no weeds, plants fed and very healthy. It made me very happy.






A shady bed outside of the Dining Pavillion/Library.
Looking mighty Holy, I must say. Hear the angels singing.....




Opposite side of the Pavillion...I'm in love with the Japanese maple here.
It's new.




This combo is working for me, though I wasn't certain
about the salmon pink here. I like it with the Euphorbia.


My succulents just keep getting more wonderful.
I'm spreading them all around, for sure.


  Here's the thing. I have not been able to enjoy my garden for years. It's beautiful, as long as I work like crazy to keep it just so. I'm getting hurt doing this. I just can't do it anymore. 
  So.
  Now, with Pedro's fine work(you will have time for me, right?), I can do the little piddly stuff that I enjoy, and maybe be able to really fall in love with my garden again. Instead of looking at my garden as some huge weekly chore I must attend to. Sigh.
  Am I really ready for this?
  Why, yes...yes I am.

  Maybe, just maybe....I might actually be comfortable sitting in the lovely area below, without jumping up every five minutes because I see something that needs to be done. Poor Johnny....he'd love to have me relax in the garden some day.
  I say...That Day Has Come.
  Well, I hope so, anyway.....




Sitting spot to enjoy, with my name on it.
 Oh, that big red pot is for our little fishies. So the critters can't get to them.





Now I'll have time and maybe even energy to clean out my potting shed, in the corner.
It's a hot mess in there.

  Before leaving, back in late February, I planted some seeds, just for fun. It was a true joy to have a small harvest to come home to. Chard, carrots, scallions, a couple of beets...and a lot of potatoes. 
  One of the first things I've done now that we're home, is plant a bunch of tomatoes. I missed having home growns last year, but this year I didn't hesitate. Can't wait for those!
  The arbor leading to the veg garden is full of the rose "Buff Beauty", a real favorite of mine. I hate to cut them, but I love the bouquets in the house and gallery. Damn. 




Looking into the veg garden. The light on the arbor is from a great salvage place
we discovered last year in Italy. We found one for the entry this year.
Johnny just needs to rewire it.



Pedro even raked the veg garden, which was very nice, indeed.
Lettuce seed just planted in wired bed on the right.

    

It's what's for dinner.





"Constance Spry" and "The Alchemist". A match made in heaven.
Especially together on my fence. 



  As I have mentioned many times before. Or maybe only once before.....
  I love having the garden to ground me when arriving back home after being away for so long. Even with all the work to do, or not, it just helps me "center" myself. The sound of the fountains, the colors and textures. The light changing and shining through the canopy. It's really kind of magical, and I do  occasionally pat myself on the back for a job well done. 
  All the years of planning, planting, making big mistakes, trying again, changing, changing, changing things....all the work that has gone down over the past seventeen years, all that. 
  It's beautiful. I really do love it. I don't want to think of my lovely garden as a chore. I'm ready to hand over the reins, friends. 
  I'm finally ready to sit, relax and enjoy my fantastic creation. 
  Thanks, Pedro. You have shown me the light.
  

2 comments:

  1. beautiful garden shines like the people who dwell there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this garden. So many lovely plants.

    ReplyDelete