Monday, November 11, 2013

A Great Place To Find Stuff



  I have been so bad about posting anything lately....I don't have any excuses, either. I'm just in a state of blah, maybe...waiting for the next trip, waiting for the holidays to be over, waiting for something I'm not sure of......wait...are those song lyrics?
  Anyway.
  Here's the thing... I have so many more meals, and day trips, and this, and that to write about from our last couple of journeys. Geez, I haven't even started on all the great art I saw at the Biennale in Venice.
  I won't again let so much time go by without writing. I enjoy it, but I can get a little lazy sometimes...
  I am officially slapping my own wrist.
  Done.


  
  On one of our drives around the Panicale area, we came across this amazing antique/restoration/salvage place that we knew we needed to return to. Last time we were here, we bought a fantastic light fixture for our garden arbor at home. 

  The place is just off the SP308, between Ponticelli and Piazze, near Chiusi and the A1. 
You know, just in case you're in the area. Hey, it could happen. Sadly, I don't remember the name of it, even though I was determined to. Best of plans, and all that. 
  Look for stuff. Lots of stuff. On the left, if you're heading towards Piazze.

  There are a few outbuildings where the guys do the restoration and wood working, but there is also a main building with all sorts of things that have been restored, etc. 





These entry doors are the kind.
I want these for Johnny's studio that we need to build in our back forty.


  When you walk in, the lights will most likely be off. Eventually a cool old guy in a great hat will come around and turn the lights on. He is usually in another building, restoring something wonderful. He's great, friendly, totally old school...in a good way. Not much English, naturally. 

  Though I want to get a photo of him, it's too early in our relationship still. Maybe next time. For now, I just like the fact that he shows us around and will make us a sweet deal on old rusty junk. And I like his chewed up skinny cigar. And his hat. And his perfect tattered sweater.
  I must get that photo of him.
  



Lights now on, we explore the indoor area. Some things have been restored beautifully,
some stuff is just kind of funky.

  I want to bring home so many choice items I see here, but where would I put them at home, and how would I get them there? I always find some little treat, though.







A nice collection. I love the 'Virgin Mary" plasic water bottles.
 you use these to bring home the healing waters that are so popular around this area.




  Besides big armoires and chests of drawers, farm tables and bedroom furniture, they have so many collections of little things. That's what I end up coveting..and bringing home.






Who doesn't love a basket full of old clocks?





So fancy.


  We went way into a back room this time that we hadn't been in before. It was a jackpot of even more cool little collections. 
  There was one display that really made me think of my pal, Mary:





Hey, Mary! This one's for you!






  Growing up Catholic, I have an attraction to certain iconic religious symbols. I am not a collector of these sorts of things....I just have to take a closer look. The display below really caught my wandering eye...

  Looking at these beauties now, I really wish I had bought several. The texture of them all together is pretty great. I just am loving looking at them all there... Flying without moving. Diving without splashing. They are tiny and spectacular.
  



There is a an art piece here, I can totally see it.




These were small, measuring only a couple of inches at most.
I think they must have come off of rosaries.



  Ok. I'm over it. I'll just go back next time and hope that are still there.
  Sigh.



  Back outside, we got down to what we really came for. We wanted to find another funky, rusty, old light fixture for the garden here at home. Last time we really scored a good one, which now happily lights my way into the herb garden:



Johnny just had to rewire it and, presto-chango.....





I love the textured glass panels.



  We knew right where to look, and we had a whole bunch of fun doing so. The hardest part is being good and not buying a bunch of what-nots. It's difficult enough getting one rusty, semi-fragile, often pointy and dangerous item into our luggage and through security.
  I can righteously say...we've now done it twice. The newest fixture is still being "refurbished", and I can't wait to have it in the garden soon. Pictures at 11!

  You can find all sorts of bizarre and useful items on these tables. I like to bargain with the hat man. He's fun, and also easy to deal with. I have to assume that he thinks we're nuts to want to pay anything for this stuff. Whatever, it's fine by me. We both end up very happy.




Loves me some rust.
The really cool stuff is often under the tables....




Want. So. Bad.
Killer sinks for the garden, for the kitchen, for the bathroom....Me likey.




  My poor hubby...When I saw this photo, it just made me laugh out loud. I can just hear him as he is looking at these handmade, olive wood "Ladders Of His Dreams"....
"My GOD, this isn't fair! How can we get this home? Better yet, why can't we just buy a place here so we can have this ladder? You're killing me!"

  Don't even start with the old windows and doors.... and the above mentioned sinks...



Johnny, we'll have that ladder some day, and in Umbria.
I promise. You just keep painting, mister.
   



  
  And then they have terra cotta pots. Lots of big ones. Though I see many just like these here, at local garden centers, it's still fun to see them in their native land.
  







  Just another little adventure on a rainy spring day in Italy. Can't wait to return.







No comments:

Post a Comment