Saturday, August 30, 2014

It's All About The Guys In Pointy Hats



   This year has been such a topsy-turvy roller coaster ride…..with hours, days, weeks, and now months spent helping my Dad during an ever changing event involving my Mom.

  What began, soon after we returned from Umbria in May, as a critical situation from a nasty fall, has finally turned a corner….and I can see a very bright light at the end of this long tunnel. I am amazed at the human body and its ability to heal.
 (Mom, you ROCK.)

  Now, with the worst of it all behind us(fingers crossed!!), I can relax a little and have some fun…..
  And, hey, what's more fun than photos of Gnomes & Sette Nani?!?

  I know I promised a couple of years ago that I would stop my obsessive picture taking of these various fellows, but I can't. I know I can't. It's just too easy, and they pop up everywhere we go.
  Why fight the urge…..

  

A cheery, yoga-savvy gnome welcomes us to a trattoria near Lago Trasimeno.



  Yes, Welcome…to the land of very odd fellows in pointy hats. 

  My pal and sister blogger, Dana, schooled me and her fellow readers on the difference between gnomes and the Seven Dwarves ("settee nani" in Italian) here, in her own wonderful blog. 
  I just pretty much love them all, and snap pictures at the drop of a pointy hat.
  The fun is in the hunt. I love to be surprised, and you never know when or where these jaunty dudes will show up….
  
  


A nice forest theme going on here…I think…
But the carpet, shells and palm frond kind of throw me.





  Many times, our be-hatted pal will show up all alone, no other friends in sight…..




I am quite fond of the shell shaped hat. It shows up often.
Here, he has only bizarre architectural debris for company.



 Sometimes there will be some sort of reference to a specific "career choice" in their dress….



Here we have a gardener gnome, complete with watering can.
And cheesy tinsel. And lights.





If I remember right, this miner lives in Pietrafitta.
We got caught in a big thunderstorm just moments after I took this shot.




Grave digger….
Isn't he great? I love his expression.







Well, I mean…Come on!
We have to have an artist in the family, right?!?
I had a really hard time holding back on swiping this guy.
I did not swipe.






  Sure, it's sad to see these happy little fellows all alone, knowing how social they can be. So it's always a treat to see them hanging out with pals.
  All kinds of…umm…pals.





Arm/paw wrestling? One potato two potato? Rock, Paper, Scissors?
 Not sure, but I like it.



I'm not so certain this guy is completely down with the ducks.
He looks kind of nervous.



  The next couple of shots were too good to be true. I only wish I could have gotten closer, but I've learned only too well the embarrassment and humiliation of being yelled at in Italian. 
  Still….a closer shot would have been sweet…..sigh.





I think the gnomes are having themselves a good old fashioned turtle race.
Either that, or a good old fashioned turtle hunt. I do see a few hatchets….
Soup anyone?





Ok. Please take a good, close look.
We have here Snow White, all Seven Dwarves,
 St. Nick and Godzilla. I love you, whoever you are.




  Having been both a professional gardener, and in a couple of bands (back in the day), I really got a big old kick out of seeing this happy group together one afternoon.
  Gnomes after my very own heart.





Also, I just can't get over the stylish footwear.
I think the beards are tie on, though...



  It's always a coup to catch the whole gang together. I especially look for the vintage sets. They are few and far between, and yet….and yet….

  Poor Johnny, having to pull the car over. Over and over and over….so I can hop out and snap a quick shot before being spotted. 
  It's a tough job, Dear Readers, and I certainly hope you appreciate the risks I take to entertain you, time and time again.

  Ok, I'm mostly having fun entertaining my own selfish self, but why not try to throw some blame out there into the void? 
  You make me do this. You, you!

  Ummmm…where was I? Oh!
 Yes, the lovely vintage sets of " Biancaneve e i Sette Nani" (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves), and their rare appearances.






Spotted from a (slow) moving car, I had to yelp a "stop!" to get the shot.




So, so worth it. This is a spectacular scene, even though
 one of the seven was hiding too far behind the tree to get him into the shot.
This was the best angle I could do, dang it.




  The final two images, of the same group, I have seen before, and actually have shown in a previous post, but this year they were out and really having themselves a good time. 
  After all, it was a "World Cup" year, right?





"Biancaneve, you are the best coach, ever!"




"I know, I know….now let's quit goofing around and bring home the win, ok guys?"



  Sadly, no win for our beloved Team Italia this year…but there's always next time.

  I love my quest for the perfect shot, especially of these wacky fellows. I guess I won't stop anytime soon, even after the close calls and being busted and yelled at a few times. What I need to do is learn more Italian, so I can properly and respectfully explain myself when the going gets, well, dicey.
  Who wouldn't understand? I figure this: If you take the time to display these fine fellows out front in your garden, you must want people to enjoy them…right?

  Oh, Janelle, you just rationalize your little obsession whichever way you need to……and quit climbing over fences, ok?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment