Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Who Tossed The Cheese? Ruzzolone 2015…Panicale


  The day after Easter is a holiday here in Italy. It's called "Pasquetta", the "Little Easter", I think…
  All over Italy, in all the various towns and regions, there are celebrations of some sort.  
  Maybe the festa is all about food, or antiques, or cheese rolling…it's a pretty big deal. 

  I guess that the main thing is that families come back to their home towns for the weekend of Easter, and why not extend the getaway through Monday…so let's have some sort of festival. It makes total sense to me.
  In Panicale, the week leading up to Easter Sunday is quite interesting…all these new people come into town and all of a sudden Bar Gallo is full, as well as all the restaurants and apartments. 
  We watch all week as the apartments that have been empty are suddenly being aired out and cleaned..and then all the parking spaces are full.

  There are the Religious events…A somber procession late Friday night, followed by Easter Sunday and the big Mass…Bells are ringing from all the villages and their church towers. It brings me right back to my early days…

  But I must say, the one thing missing from those early days was a good old cheese rolling tournament.
I've written about it before in this blog, and I will again, no doubt..
  I thought that this year I would just let a few pictures and videos tell the story…They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and in this case…I'm letting the photos and videos do the talking….so to speak….
  




The Dudes.
These guys are really serious about this cheese rolling thing...



The Easter Bunny.
 He has the megaphone.




The Artist.
He's just along for the wine.




The Canadians.
They are making major points by pouring the wine.
Always good to make friends with The Dudes!



The videos….
Need I say more?


Welcome to the Panicale Ruzzolone, 2015!!

























No Cheese was injured during the filming of
The Ruzzolone….
Well, many just a little bit.
Plus, it was eaten and enjoyed by all in attendance,
after the fact.

Grazie, Panicale!
It was Big Fun!!




No comments:

Post a Comment