Sunday, January 31, 2016

News From The Garden..January 2016



  Rain...gorgeous rain...What a difference a week with on and off rain makes!
  Here in California, it's been a very tough stretch without any real rain to speak of. I had gotten used to my garden looking a little, well, parched. Sad. Wilted. Crispy.


  For us, it's about cutting back on all things we do that include water.. like watering the garden, of course. Letting the garden just do as well as it can on minimal amounts of water. 
  When we see photos, like these below, we all realize what we are up against.....



Lake Oroville in 2011





The same spot, 2014




Lake Folsom 2011



Again, same spot in 2014....




  I'm not writing today to get into the politics of it all...that's for someone else's bloggy. I just want to point out to my dear readers from far and wide exactly what we have going on here on the left coast...


  So when we do get some rain, REAL rain, it's a big deal, indeed! And boy, is my garden coming back to life. Sigh....it's such a joy to see. And it's been years. YEARS...since it's looked so fine.

  I really didn't think I'd ever see these ferns looking this good. I was just at the point of digging them up and adding them to the compost pile...but then it started raining!




Ooooohhhhh!


Ahhhhhhhh!
I love these so much, I had to put two pictures.




  My beloved (because they started as bitty little babies from dear Tasha's garden) hellebores have hung in there like the champs I know they are, but they are looking their best this week. Really, the best since I planted them four or five years ago....







I can't stand it. They look so good.










  I know I'm always sharing pictures of my succulents, which have taken over major areas of the garden, but this week, with drops of moisture still clinging...spectacular!















  If you are a regular reader of Live Pronto, you know that I love my variegated plants...A true favorite is the bulbous grass, 'arrhenatherum elitius', below, which I have spread throughout my shade garden beds.
  It has suffered mightily during these drought years, unfortunately. At best, it would look sort of ok after I watered it, but since I am stingy with the water, it's been most unhappy.

  This week, we have seen such a major turnaround! Yes! This is how it should look, and I can only shout out a big "Thanks!" to the rain clouds-





Sigh.




My plectranthus, which looks semi-ok when dry, is another showstopper right now...
so happy that it also blooms in winter. I have it all over, too.



  I have given up on growing veggies, except for tomatoes, which I'll plant in May...in big black nursery pots...and potatoes, which I can't seem to get rid of.......and my beautiful Italian purple artichokes....



These are much happier, too, with the extra moisture coming their way.
I hope I get to see them with actual artichokes this year!



I have three of these super spiky gems.
They hurt when you get near them, but the artichokes are so beautiful...
And tasty.



  Even though I have to cut her back soon(like yesterday), my climbing rose 'Cornelia' is ready to bloom...again.
 I can't stand it! She thinks it's April, but I must put her to bed, at least for a short period of time.
  Damn you, Cornelia. You always show up early to the party..or maybe you just stay too late...?  Hmmmmm...







  Another gift plant from my dear Tasha, this gorgeous leucadendron, below.
I wish I knew what variety(help?...anyone?) it is, but I can't figure it out. All I know is that it is in full, and I do mean FULL glory right now.
  Huge, blooming like crazy, and just perfection.



Way taller than me, maybe eight to ten feet by six feet wide at least.
I have never seen it bloom like this...



Happy, happy, happy!

I have been making bouquets, and this was what I used for our
X-mas wreath at the gallery...But it wasn't in bloom then.
Still, super pretty.



  I guess I'm getting somewhat wistful....We will be departing soon, and my garden is going to be so amazingly fantastic this year. I think I'll really be missing something special. 

  So glad that the house sitters will have so much to enjoy. I am thrilled that both Anna and James are garden enthusiasts, and will be having a great time with the roses, and all else.
  (Send photos, you guys!!!)
  Pedro, who is my right and left hand man in the garden will also enjoy reaping the benefits, and I love this so much. I hope there will be some roses left to cut when we return...I think so.

  A couple of last shots for todays visit...



Rain drops... actual RAIN DROPS.
Oh, heaven!




A bit of garden decor, just because.





And my beach glass will continue to grow, too.
Froggy is a good luck pal.


  Looking forward to more hours in the garden yet to come, my friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment