Monday, April 9, 2018

Rainy Day? Make Pasta!



  I'm always threatening to make pasta from scratch. Every time we're here, pretty much.

  Poor Johnny. He waits and waits, and then it's time to leave. I have all the stuff to do it- the big wooden board, the really long rolling pin, the pots and pans.

  Well, Dear Readers, today was the day.
  We woke up to rain, and it has been raining steadily all day. Now it's about 5:30 on Monday evening, and still it's coming down.
  How to deal with another rainy day? Make your husband's dream come true!

  So, here you have it.
  Homemade cavatelli. In pictures, that is....
  


300 grams '00' flour

Three eggs.





Mix it around without making too big a mess...





Then start in with the mixing by hand...

It gets icky, but keep going.
Clean all the sticky stuff off your hands often.





The dough will come together, eventually.



Knead it like you mean it.
I think it was about fifteen minutes



It turns into a silky smooth ball of love.
Plastic wrap it up and let it rest at least an hour.



Use your wooden cavatelli maker...I found mine at a local thrift store.
Sort of roll the bits of pasta down and off the thingy.



You end up with these kind of creepy wormy looking shapes.
Cute! Lots of nooks & crannies to hold the sauce.


Enough!


  I'm going back and forth on what I'll sauce these with later. Either I'll go the easy route and just do a store bought pesto, or I'll make a creamy leek sauce, which is what I originally thought to do earlier this morning.
  Hmmm...what will it be?
  We'll all find out later.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment