Saturday, April 11, 2020

And Then There Is The Cooking


  While being at home 'sheltering in place', I've been spending almost all day every day in my garden. I'm loving it, for sure...but I've been cooking some, too, and the last couple of days have been pretty tasty.

  I made a delightfully decadent pappardelle last night.
  Leeks, peas, goat cheese, and cream? What could be better?





Add the pappardelle. This was store bought.



Mix that all together, until the goat cheese melts well...



...and yum!

  

I've been threatening to make focaccia for weeks, and today was the day. It wasn't nice out, grey and a bit chilly, so a perfect time. 

  I made the dough with bread flour, yeast, honey, salt and olive oil, then let it rise.






  After forming it to the well oiled sheet pan, I let it rise again. Don't be stingy with the oil.





  Next, I mixed equal parts olive oil and water into a slurry, and poured it on top. I read about this step, and it really made a difference in the finished product.






 After pressing gently with my fingers all over....





 ...I topped with chopped fresh rosemary and good flakey sea salt. Don't be stingy with the salt.






 Bake on lower rack at 425-450 degrees, and you'll be in heaven!















  Not a bad attempt at all! You can't skimp on the olive oil or salt if you want it to be like what you get in Italy, especially Liguria, where it's like a religion.

  It was a bit too thin, and got a little burnt on the edges, but it was really tasty, and almost perfect. I'll do this again, only I'll use a smaller sheet pan, so I don't spread it out too thin. I'll add more rosemary, too, I think. 
  I made Johnny really happy. He's a man who loves his focaccia...

  I wonder what the next kitchen adventure will be. Thanks, Covid 19!
  





1 comment:

  1. mmmmm....so delicious! Both the pasta and the focaccia. Perfect activity for a gloomy day.

    ReplyDelete