Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Perugino: It's All In The Details


On Sunday, we joined our pals on a trip to the local "big city", Perugia. We went specifically to visit an exhibition at the National Gallery of Umbria

Hometown boy Pietro Vannucci, known here as Pietro Perugino, is a favorite son in the area, and his work from way back in the 1400's is exquisite. To have a chance to see a big show, especially in honor of the 500th year anniversary of his death was something we looked forward to.

We rarely go to Perugia, and after this visit we are inspired to spend more time there. It's a lovely hill town full of wonderful nooks and crannies to explore...but that's for another blog post. On this day, it was all about Perugino...




The facade of the Museum...








As always, I don't consider myself any kind of expert on art...especially historic works. I see what I see, which means I focus on what appeals to my personal sensibilities. This often means color, texture...whatever strikes my fancy.

Perugino has much to offer for someone like me. Though most of these pieces are heavy with religious overtones, I tuned into the details. Most, if not all of these paintings were commissioned by the church. There were some portraits, as well, but lots of Madonnas with babies...and lots of Saints.




Case in point...a lovely composition with beautiful color.


I was awed by the little things...these two bouquets blew my mind.









I think this may be a hat of some sort, loaded with jewels...





The intricate detail in the fabrics are also astounding...







I like the wildflowers here, as well...




I always love a good "Annunciation" painting...
There are so many here in Italy, and they are all different...



I love the gesture of the hand, and the one flower stalk.





I want to know everything about this sandal!



I was quite taken by Perugino's ability to capture an emotional moment. He painted skin so silky and smooth. It was amazing to see this and wonder how he did it.



I love this...the hands, the tears, the hair...the fabric.
Beautiful.




There was not just one, but two Annunciations...maybe more? I liked this one very much.



Perugino is working with perspective here. A new concept for the times.




I love this Angel...




Here, The Virgin Mary has such a lovely pose...


This painting, below, is just fantastic. For me, it's all about the surface of the skin, and the detail of the cloth around Saint Sebastian's hips...






This covering is everything. 
Imagine the work...how tiny the brushes must be to create the fringe, etc.



There were several self portraits, because the portrait was a new thing.

I liked this one very much. Maybe because the frame was so over the top!






The tilt of the head, the position of the hands...and that skin like porcelain. Also, the landscapes in the background. Always very stylized. 










I love the baby grabbing her hair...





Again..it's all in the details...





Another beautiful example of color, texture and gesture..

 If you find yourself in Umbria anytime soon, treat yourself to this show. I'm so glad we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment