Sunday, October 16, 2011

I Gatti


  I gatti... "cats" in Italian. And they are all over the joint (In Paris, it's little dogs. And, until recently, you really had to watch where you walked). It seems like every village in Italy is full of cats. For better or worse. It's hard to tell if they belong to anyone, or everyone. Most likely it's no one. But there are always bowls and plates of last nights leftover pasta strategically placed about town.
  For Johnny and I, it's a treat to have a little ball of fluff to pet, as we lost our much loved kitty a couple of years ago. Johnny is a total "cat magnet", so anytime he sits down and there's a cat around, it's only a matter of minutes before the cat is in his lap. No matter where we are. Into the lap, a couple of spins around, and purr-purr-purr, it's nap time. Cracks me up. He had a very close encounter with a pony on this last trip... if that little fellow could have, it would have been in Johnny's lap, for sure. Animal magnetism, I guess you would call it. My Johnny, the St. Francis of artists.
  Anyway, I love to take pictures of "i gatti", of course, like everyone does. I try to be on the lookout for odd places to photograph them in, if possible, because cats can find the most unusual places to catch a nap. They can be such clowns, or so serious. When we were traveling this year, it was still pretty brisk out most days, so any little warm spot was the spot. On other trips, it's been the shade they are searching out. Like us.

I just love this shot because of the texture. This was on Torcello,
one of the islands near Venice. It was a toasty day out, and this little one
was conked out, big time.



Catching some zzzzs on a rooftop in the Cinque Terre. I remember it being a pretty
good drop, so this little gatto was taking no chances.


This kittle is a close copy of the love of our life, now gone.
I'm thinking this was at the farmhouse we stayed in one year, just
 outside of Montepulciano.

  We had our sweet little one for close to 19 years. I had picked her out from a litter when she was only 3 or 4 days old. Then I waited and waited until I could bring her home. So cute and so little. I had her a year or 2 before Johnny came along. Boom, right into his lap. He passed the test, and we had our family of 3 for many, many years. When we lost her, it was really losing a third of us. The house still seems too empty.... We have no interest in finding another kitty these days. With travel and work, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Wouldn't be fair.
  So we love to have the chance encounter with cats on out trips, or around town. The last year or so, a little fluff ball has decided our yard is an awesome place to hang out. She has a home, is fixed and healthy, so someone in the hood loves her. For us, it's all the fun without the commitment. Well, not all the fun. We don't let this one in the house, she is strictly a garden visitor. We've named her "Eve", as she first showed up on New Year's Eve, last year. She is a perfect guest pet.
   I hope we can have a similar situation when we are in Panicale next year. Maybe our rental will come with a cat? For sure, we will enjoy seeing all the regulars around town.


A teenager in the Cinque Terre, soaking up the rays. This one hung out
 while we were enjoying a glass of wine, and Johnny painted. 


Another teenager...maybe a sibling to the one above...... both shots taken in Corniglia.


This tabby cat was in this spot day after day, waiting. It's the doorway to the local fishmonger!
This was in Vernazza a few years ago.

Just a couple of pals out for a stroll in the sun. I spied them just outside the walls of Panicale.


  Someday, when we settle down, I would love to have another kitty. There is nothing like that purring weight on your lap while you are watching TV, or reading in bed. Speaking of bed, I loved how Birdy would stay with me all day long in bed if I was sick. She was a good one. I won't go on too much, because it's still hard to think about her. I miss her every single day. 


Dinner with a view. In the amazing hilltown, Civita di Bagnoregio. 


Finding some shade in Panicale.

Finding some sun in Panicale. 



In Cetona, I caught this scene in the local hardware store. A working cat, no doubt.



I love this funny shot. A balcony kitty, just checking it all out.
  Hi, Little. I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment