Friday, October 28, 2011

New York 2011 1




  Still totally exhausted, I have to share at least a little of our whirlwind jaunt to the Big Apple. This will be the first of a few posts on the trip. And, no, you won't see anything here on the Occupy Wall Street happenings. Sorry... this trip was all about getting away for a couple of days to see art and eat food.
  Having just flown in late late last night, it's all fresh in my sleep deprived mind..... Johnny had to see the DeKooning Retrospective that just opened at MOMA, so that was the excuse to play "jetsetters" and go all bi-coastal for a few days. Fly in, see art, eat food, fly out. Done. Two nights in Greenwich Village was not close to enough, but that's what we could get away with right now. A great reward for all the hard work we've been doing lately.
  One thing I was really interested in seeing was the High Line, a walking park that runs through the Chelsea District. Originally an elevated freight line that served the meatpacking district and warehouses of the West End, it is now a fantastic public green space (www.thehighline.org).
  We decided to walk off the overnight flight, and headed over first thing, after checking in early. The day was beautiful, and chock full of that magic light that only October can bring. Of course we got lost right off the bat, but everyone was nice and pointed us in the right direction. We headed up the Hudson River until we spied the end of the line at Gansevoort Plaza.



One end of The High Line

  Up the stairs, and WOW... There is a similar type park in Paris that we have had the pleasure of strolling through, the Promenade Plantee, and I can't help but think this marvel must have been inspired by that one. Both take full advantage of the surrounding views, and give the walker the feeling of being in a true green space, while in reality, you are on a walkway no more than about 30 feet wide. 
  As in Paris, this lovely park has several areas to sit and linger, pic-nic, lay in the sun...a nice diversion from the hustle and bustle of the big city just a few feet below and around you.


Really nice areas to sit, and all the plantings are so well thought out. 

  The water towers are so much a part of the New York skyline. I just can't get enough. Seems like they are everywhere, and there were several sightings along the High Line. I also appreciated that they included some wider, open spaces, with full on plantings and benches to lay or sit on. Nice.

An area to soak up the sun, with a nice wall for a windbreak. Good thinking!

  After The High Line, we checked out several galleries and grabbed a couple of fantastic falafal gyros from a street vender doing a brisk business. I had great plans to hit a bunch of food carts, but in reality, this was it. Except for water... ah well, next time... We did a run through at the Chelsea Market, mainly to find a public bathroom...it was ok, lots of people chowing down at the various food stands, and some fun Halloween decorations. Then off to find a subway to take us uptown to check out some more galleries. 


A cool building with reflections in Chelsea District....

   After hitting the galleries, we strolled to Central Park to relive a moment from our last trip to New York...we fell in love with the little boats that are available at the lake. Also, a glass of wine was a must... It was so beautiful, with the colors changing in the park. Also, it was getting to be that gorgeous time of the day when everything goes all nostalgic..


Johnny actually rented a little boat to float around...
  Johnny had fun remote controlling a sailboat around the lake. A couple of other kids had it out for him, though. He soon found himself in defense mode, put-putting his little boat away from danger as fast as it could go. It was all in fun, and they were really little kids. I guess all he really could control was the sail, and then it was up to the wind to get it to safety. The woman at the rental place got a big kick out of Johnny renting that boat.... Probably the only person over the age of 10 or so to do it.
  And that's one reason I adore my husband.
  Then a walk about the park, just to take in the freaking beauty of it at the golden hour.



Pretty.

I love this, and always think of  "Angels In America" when I see pictures of it..






  So, after we made it back to our hotel, we rested a little, cleaned up, and went out to find some place for dinner. I had wanted to find this little tapas bar we went to, just for a glass of wine and some munchies, but could not find it. 
   I can get a little grumpy about where I do and don't want to eat. Especially when we are in one of the great food cities. Johnny got a little fussy with me, because I didn't like this menu, or that place, or the looks of that other one...we get in little fights over it. Sometimes I'll give in, and be all pissy because I'm wasting money and calories on mediocre food. We actually sat down and were given menus in a place I totally did not want to eat at...and then I slapped myself and grew a pair. "Let's go, I don't want to eat here." God bless him, when I do speak up for myself, he'll back off and be ok about it. 
  Sure enough, just around the corner, we find I Tre Merli. (www.itremerlibistrony.com) This ends up being a fantastic find, and there are a couple of restaurants owned by this group. We went to the "bistro" at 183 W.10th. A tiny place with an amazing buzz to it. Great food, really nice service, and superb music being piped in, just loud enough to make you feel like you are cool.
   I was instantly attracted to the appetizer "Flash Fried Mushrooms w/Truffle Oil". Oh, man.... The best thing ever. Well, in the top 5. A nice big bowl of crunchy on the outside, succulent on the inside delightfulness. Not over the top with the truffle oil, which can be a problem, and just enough with the rosemary. I swear, I would, no I will fly back to NY, just for these mushrooms. 


Flash Fried Mushroom delights.
   


A close up,  just because. Will someone, PLEASE, try to add these to your menu, here in our town?
The perfect bar snack, by the way. Crunchiness heaven.










   I could have just ordered another bowl of shrooms, but thought better of it. I figured that if they were that good, the rest of the menu would rock. It did. I had the house made Paparadelle pasta with roasted tomatoes and cacciatti cheese. Perfectly made pasta, just al dente enough for me, and not too much "sauce"... just the juices of the tomatoes, maybe a little white wine, reduced.
  Johnny went for the porcini filled ravioli with truffles. Again, not too much truffle to overpower the lovely porcini filling. The filling was so rich and had a great texture. I was thinking it was porcini that had been sauteed down with some shallots, and just pureed. Very simple, pure flavor.
  What can I say, we are "Pasta-Centric".
  We had a nice bottle of wine, a Barbera from Piedmonte. The meal really called for a good red.
  Did I mention the mushrooms?


My yummy pasta Paparadelle



Thank god Johnny is the type of diner who likes to share. 
Creme Brulee, that didn't wow us. That's ok.

  We totally cleaned our plates. We actually ordered dessert, a creme brulee, which was only ok. We should have known better, but we are suckers for creme brulee.
  The place was hoping with patrons, and for good reason. It's small and noisy and fan-tas-tic. Basta. More food adventures tomorrow, if I get a chance to write again. For now, my body is crying "uncle" and we still have stuff to do tonight....Ciao!!




1 comment:

  1. Janelle, I can feel your breathless enthusiasm and the wind on my face in central park.. Yes I too noticed the high Line in an article about green spaces in the city and I am going to get to that too.. You and I have so much of the same taste.. I too would get up and leave really fast if I was not comfortable in a restaurant. Food is ritual for me and sometimes (to the impatience and frustration of my friends) it is vrey hard for me to decide where to eat... Rock on girl rock on....

    ReplyDelete