Friday, June 15, 2012

Me And Art 3


  When most of us think of Florence, Italy, and the art world, we think of the Accademmia and David, or the lovely room after freaking room of utter beauties at the Uffizi...There is the Bargello and it's sculptures by Donatello and Michelangelo. The Medici Chapels, the Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio and the Pitti Palace all have Art History Giants coming out their stained glass windows. Florence is a treasure trove of all we think of when we think of the biggies of Renaissance Art, early and late.
  There are hundreds and hundreds of students from all over the globe roaming about, all studying art history. (Well, that's what they tell their parents, anyway...). It's a special place to visit, and everyone should make a point to, if possible.

  We have gotten into the habit of flying in and out of Florence, just so we can spend our last couple of nights taking in the splendors she has to offer. And don't get me going on about the delectable meals we look forward to... but that will be yet another post here, down the line someday soon.
 We knew we would see something fantastic, we always do. A favorite art venue of ours is Palazzo Strozzi. Located not far from the Piazza della Repubblica, the Strozzi offers Contemporary art, not always easy to find in Florence. We knew that there was a show featuring American Impressionists in Florence going on, but what bowled me over was the companion show "American Dreamers". 
  Brava!!
  
  Chicago artist Nick Cave was one of the eleven American Artists being shown in this exhibit. Whaaaaa! When I realized I was finally going to see Nick Cave's "Soundsuits" in person, I was beside myself. 
  We all have our own tastes, likes and dislikes when it comes to Art. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I am no expert. I just know what I like. 
  I LIKE NICK CAVE.
  There. I said it out loud.
  

Come on, what's not to like?



  There were several Soundsuits on display. These are hand made in his shop, meant to be worn as well as displayed. They are made to move and dance in, each type making it's own unique sound.... I especially love these made from human hair. When they are worn the texture of the hair swishing around, or really flying about while jumping, is a joy. The really colorful ones are amazing to watch in action. Alas, I've only seen them move via youtube videos.



Mommy, Pleeeeze can we bring one home?


  I think the first Soundsuit was made out of twigs. The artist didn't realize the "sound" potential until trying it on and moving about a little. They did not have a twig Soundsuit here, but that's alright. They did have a couple of his pieces made from found fabric objects, like potholders and rag rugs. I think I love these because my Grandma Bea always made us potholders as gifts. I swear, I still have enough for a Soundsuit of my own. Hmmm...




Rag rugs on one, intricate beading and sequins on the other.


He finds sequined clothes and such to sew together at second hand stores, too...

  From what I've read, he likes to tap into the tribal and ceremonial aspects of costumes, but adding the sound element and general wackiness of the materials. Like the suit with the potholders, the suit with the tintoys, below, can't help but touch a nostalgic note in anyone who sees it.




Love, love, love it.


  The Soundsuits are often made with a fairly major metal armature piece, to help with the shaping of them. I love this tintoy piece - I love the human form underneath, all covered in potholders sewn together. I walked slowly around this one for quite  a while. Amazingly, there were very few people in the space.








  There was a video playing of a performance with the Soundsuits, which I've seen on youtube. If this perks your interest, take a few minutes to get lost in Nick Cave land. (Just don't get confused with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, a great band, but not the same dude).

  The three person button suit was oh-so-cool, and I can just imagine what it would sound like jumping around..




My next Halloween outfit...who's in? And what about the footwear!??!

Such intricate work..and the reverse side is even gorgeous.
          



  Last, but of course not least, this bumpy lumpy beauty made from string bags, potholders, and more rag rugs.






  Pretty damn fantastic to get to see even just a few of the Soundsuits. It whet my appetite for more, and low and behold, we come home to find that the June issue of ArtNews magazine has a Soundsuit on it's cover. A great big, hot pink human hair bunny type suit. 
  Furraliscious!


   

  I could have stopped right then and there, but I really did enjoy a few other standouts. For me, anyway. 

  This big installation was cool, but my photos didn't come out great.... Mandy Greer, a Seattle artist, takes you on a trippy little journey here-




"Cynosura"



I like the shadows this creates in the room.

A big moon like sphere with stars all around at one end of the space..



One of the crystal covered stars from Seattle artist, Mandy Greer


  A few more stars were to be found in another room, by NewYork artist, Kirsten Hassenfeld. Again, not enough good images from me and my lil'camera...
  I did like the vintage paper star and this blue one, made with CitiBank invoices and envelopes, among other paper....












Vintage wrapping paper makes a nice glow. Kirsten Hassenfeld's
"Star Series".



 

The show had several artists that I thought were fantastic, but my photos were crappy, or I just didn't take photos. I really wanted to share this one, though.
  These little bitty, totally awe inspiring in their detail, "Dioramas" are by Brooklyn artist Patrick Jacobs. The room looked almost empty. Just a few small peep holes in the walls. But on closer inspection, well,   just look....



Holes about three inches in diameter...




Tiny, miniscule, perfect worlds....




Maybe two inches? Each hand crafted and oddly hyper realistic.

  I'm not sure if it was the lighting, or the souped up color, but these dioramas had me reeling. How were these done?? Well, I guess painstakingly, that's how. Each hand crafted blade of grass and dandelion flower had to be perfectly placed. So impressive. I want to know how these artists come up with the idea, and in this case, how they implement it.
  


The depth in this just blows my little pea brain. Blown!









Seriously cool.

  A last look through the little glass bubble world of Patrick Jacobs.




An entire story here, no doubt. 


  So that's my walk through the Palazzo Strozzi for now.
  Now get out and see some Art.







No comments:

Post a Comment