Sunday, July 28, 2013

Missing Panicale. Again.




  We are so lucky to have some sweet pals back in Panicale who send us photos and even some short videos of the ongoing activities in Panicale. I love it...little reminders of our other life. 
  Thing is, it really makes me stop what I'm doing and go back to my album of photos...
  Next thing I know, a couple of hours have gone by, and I have to play catch up. It's all good. There always seems to be just enough time for everything... even whipping out a blog post for all those Panicale lovers out there. Or maybe its just for me.... I like to remember, and at the same time I get to look forward to the next visit.
  
  Just a little bit of fluff to make my grey and foggy Sunday here at work a little more sunny.... and Umbrian! 


  

  One day we heard a big racket in the piazza, so we had to head down and see what the hell was going on. What was going on was some big fun being had by a group of regular dirt-bikers, out for a weekend mud-fest:








The perfect mix of mud and Proseco. Why not?



  I'm always thinking about food, for sure. It's only natural, right?  It's a killer, because I'm munching carrot sticks right now. Really. Just keep repeating: I love carrot sticks. I love carrot sticks. I lo.......never mind.






My most favorite mushroom salad. Thanks, Aldo!




Johnny's most favorite zucchini salad with fresh mozzarella & walnuts.
Thanks, Aldo!





My favorite tagliatelle with leeks and truffles. Thanks, Masolino's!




Cooking at the apartment rocks, too.
Agretti with fresh mozzarella & tomatoes. Thanks, me!



  We miss our friends, of course, and keep in touch as much as we can. Like I mentioned, they help to keep us in touch with Panicale while we are here, back home. We meet new people every year, and get to know the locals better and better each time we go back. 

  I have got to get my language skills down. I just can't seem to remember anything I learn...thank god I've got my Rosetta Stone program here at work to keep things somewhat fresh. 
  Must. Study. More.
  (Jeez. If only I didn't spend so much time looking at photos and videos. I could really get in some good time studying......)

  Oh...back to friends we miss....






Having some afternoon treats with pals at Michele & Co.
near Castiglione del Lago.




Friends, cards, wine, lunch and a little gardening.
A perfect day at Mariolina's.








Walking with pals just below Panicale.
The "Golden Hour".





Having fun with contemporary art.




  This year we connected with some new pals that were just beginning a garden project in Panicale. It was so great to watch the early stages, and now we get to look forward to seeing how it's all come together when we return. It's an awesome garden space, with the best view ever.





Adding goodies to the soil, getting ready to plant.
I was just an enthusiastic & envious observer...




Million dollar garden view.


  Most days Johnny and I would head out to find a spot for him to paint. Later in the afternoon or early evening, we could almost always be found having a glass of wine at Bar Gallo. Such a great place to touch base and see what everyone has been up to. A good book, dominoes...
  Other days, we might end up down by the lake, especially if the weather was nice. It was always fun to meet Katia and her family there.




Just hangin' at the lake.
Heaven.







Katia and I in the piazza, Panicale.
The boys look on, waiting for grandpa to blow up their balloons.




  The piazza is always the heart of any hill town in Italy. In larger towns, there may be several, each one special to it's own neighborhood. In Panicale, there are a couple, but the main piazza is pretty obvious. It's where all the activities go on, for the most part. 
  Perfect for shopping, gifts, a glass of wine, cappuccino, lotto tickets, a haircut or fine meal. At times busy with the daily rituals of Italian life, and often quiet enough to hear all the birds singing. We walk through the piazza more times a day than I can keep track of. Everyone does, it seems.
  I like walking through at night, when the lights make everything look golden.







A typical day in the piazza.
For us, our last day in the piazza, this trip.




  A few moments and sounds from Piazza Umberto I:









  Some treasured scenes...I love the stone houses, the colors, the stairs, the trippy little "streets".
  Just another photo "shout-out" to Panicale.... See ya next Spring!













Work vehicle, Umbrian style.







This entry always looks so nice, and is much loved.

   




Just a few steps from our apartment. Up or down, either way gets you to the piazza...






Our morning, afternoon and evening walk around town.
A great place to watch the sunset.






So hard to lock up that last morning, and say goodbye.
Thankfully, we know we'll be back.





















No comments:

Post a Comment