Saturday, December 27, 2014

Details, Umbria 2014



  Rust, lichen, old bricks, distressed wood, peeling paint….These are things that make my heart pitter-patter… or in some cases, thump wildly. 

  You can keep the shiny and new…. Just give me age. Lots and lots of age. Hey, I don't even mind getting older myself (well…..let's talk about that in a few more years).

  When I was still gardening professionally, my work vehicle was this wonderful 1981 Toyota pick-up truck. White. She had a long bed with a shell. This truck was classic. I was only the second owner, and I drove Trucky-Truck until the day she was put out to pasture at a nearby wrecking yard. 
  Lucky for Trucky, she was turned loose to frolic in the fields of wildflowers along with all the other old trucks. 
  Well, this was the only way I could rationalize the "wrecking" part of turning the old gal in for a thousand bucks, part of a buy-back program from the state. She had been determined a "polluter", bless her heart…..

  Why I am bringing her up is that the shell, made of a textured material of some sort, began to grow the most amazing splotches of lichen on top! I wouldn't dare wash her because it was just so cool. These lichen started out as barely visible spots, but over a few years they were several inches across, all grey-green and spotted with fluorescent chartreuse bits. 
  I'm telling you, I was this close to cutting out chunks of that camper thingy, just to keep it all growing.
  I took quite a liken' to that lichen.

  
  Getting back to Umbria, though. 
  We walk a lot while we're there. We walk for fun as well as exercise. While walking, I'm constantly looking up, down, all around. I don't want to miss a thing.
  I'm looking for the details.
  I'm looking for the past... that rusty, weathered, moss covered stuff that so often slips under the radar.  
  I'm also looking for the everyday scenes that just pop up and rock my little world for a minute or two. 
  The little moments that remain with me throughout the year, coming back as a simple reminder of why we work so f-ing hard to make these trips happen...
  




Here, it's the shape and texture that drew me.
I thought about doing a post just on these chimney caps. Next year.




  Statues are everywhere, and it's hard to answer why some "speak" to me more than others. Often it's just the expressive nature that the artist has managed to portray-








  We came across this noble fellow, below, from behind. I think we were in Cortona, but I could be wrong. Anyway, he stood tall on a raised platform, and I loved his silhouette and busted arms.









  He was an entirely different story from the front, with his odd leggings and carved details. Lit from the front, his whole personality changed.










  The next few photos are perfect examples of what I mean about lichen. I imagine this takes decades, if not centuries to achieve. I see these and want them all for my garden. Every gardener I know feels the same. 





I know this beauty is in Cortona's public garden. 





The flame seems to have been painted or added on. Perhaps for added stability?
The deer herself is quite special, I think. 



Along a white road near Pozzuolo. We almost missed this scene.




Early days of lichen growth, I think.
I'm assuming it's all about where the sun or shade hits it the longest.





 Johnny and I both have a fondness for garden gates. He dreams of the kind in my Grandpa's garden:




There is nothing wrong with these……
They have their place.

  



  Now, I love those old gates, too, but my fantasy garden gate would be something more like these, below, thank you very much…..





Perfectly peeling paint, in a perfectly vintage color.
I'll take it.
This one is on Isola Maggiore.



I would be perfectly happy to have this one, of course.
Especially if I could have the stone walls, too.



Well, maybe this is the one I want the most.
For now, anyway.
And yes, the lichen covered stone walls, please.



  We come across these piles of roofing tiles all the time. Do you have any idea how hard it is not to grab and dash??!?
  As always, I do not.
  I respect.

  Blasted integrity…it's the bane of my existence. Well, one of them, anyhow…..


Lusting, lusting……Oh the lusting.



I mean, really, they won't miss one, right?
GD YOU, integrity!…you really chap my hide.

 




  Funny… as the days tick by in Panicale, I tend to get a little lazy about carrying my camera on our early morning walks. Seems to happen every year. Fortunately, Mr. J chides me no end, until I tuck it into my pocket.
  I'm always glad he pushes it, because there always seems to be a moment I want to capture….





One of several lamp posts along a nearby driveway.





We pass this sign all the time.
We're so curious!





Just a rusty old tractor, hanging around the rocks.





Almost missed this lovely scene while on a morning walk.
We now refer to this as "The Beautiful Hippie House".




  Then there are the odd details…the tiny, funny, sweet moments that I forget about until I'm scrolling through my iPhoto library, dreaming, dreaming…Always with the dreaming. 
  Sigh.







Perhaps it designates a different grape variety?
Chases away birds? Garden art?
I just dig it.




Window decor one night at Il Pellicano, a fave spot for pizza.
Also quite the club scene, after hours..





This photo I took for Mom…
It's outside a hospital that specializes in
asthma & bronchial issues.





I must have this as my next album cover.
The album title shall be "Lunedì è il Giorno della Lavata"
(Monday is Wash Day)




Last, but certainly not least..
Proof of Zombies, right here in Umbria.


   Though every year I believe we have seen all we can see within our small area, I am pleasantly surprised to find all new sights, sounds, tastes….and oh so very happy to return and see that not a whole lot has changed one little bit.
 





1 comment: