Monday, December 1, 2014

When My Mind Starts To Wander




  It's not yet time to begin the official "Count Down", but the flights are booked, the car has been rented, and the deposit on the apartment is secure.
  I need this. 
  I need this bad.

  Let's just say that I'll be very happy to put 2014 to bed, come December 31st.
  
  With life starting to feel a little more normal, I can allow myself to think about Panicale, and our yearly  adventure. My mind wanders the streets almost nightly, and the landscape is so close in my heart I can feel it. 
  I dreamt I was having a chat with Aldo at Bar Gallo last night…true. It was slow, no one around….just how we like it. TV playing top 40 videos, Italian style. Sigh.

  Some pals have been concerned because I have not been writing as much. Also true. 
  So for all of us who pine daily for our dear little spot in Umbria, this is for us...




Panicale in her early morning haze…
That's a Cercis in bloom….




High drama clouds mean a shower coming soon, but what great light.

   I miss the big views…we love driving around Lago Trasimeno, or out into the countryside. I never get tired of the hyper green fields, or the old olive groves. I am happy as can be, sitting shotgun as the landscape slowly cruises by.


The lake changes color all day long.




Another dreamy scene. Perfect color combination.




Shapes. Gorgeous shapes.




Is it 2014, or 1614?



A very familiar view for those of us who take this walk.
Again, I'm lost in time.




Another view from a regular walking path.
Just outside of Panicale….
 


  People ask us why we travel in late winter. There are a few reasons…prices are much more reasonable for all the big ticket items, and it's pretty slow at the gallery. We can get away with being open just on the weekends, and we thank our lucky stars that we have some friends who will work for us while we are away.

  Sure, the weather can get cold, wet and sometimes windy; we don't mind. We get the place to ourselves. It's a nice chance to settle in with the local folks before things start jumping after Easter and such…..




Loving the peace and quiet on the shores of Lago Trasimeno.
In summer months, this place would be packed.



Enjoying a quiet moment on the hill.


  We were so lucky to have the chance to climb up into the "tower" next to Porta Perugino, one of the main gates into the walled part of town.
  They refer to this building as "Il Castello", the castle. It's very impressive, and we loved getting up inside. We always park right near the base of it….



"Il Castello"


  I had my camera, of course, and I used it. You just don't get to see these views from anywhere else in town….




A great day to be here.
I can't get enough of the old roof tiles. They slay me.




Beautiful.




Again, the colors of the fields with the colors of the buildings..yum.
The clouds just add drama.




 Every year I enjoy watching the fields of durum wheat come alive. It starts out as just lovely tilled soil, and by the time we are ready to head home, these fields are magic.
 
 









It's just one more thing I forget about,
until I'm back experiencing it.




Another type of grass, near a small creek.
I loved the movement, and the color combo.


  Visiting various gardens, either friend's or public, is always a treat. 
  I enjoy peeking into courtyards in the bigger tows, because you never know if you'll find a bunch of old trash cans, or a gorgeous small garden.



An interior courtyard garden in Bologna, I do believe.
I would kill to have this in my garden here!
I think the walls are just fantastic, with the old climbing roses...




 Bearded Iris grow so well here…they are everywhere! These  soft violet varieties look stunning against the local stone walls, and they are incredibly fragrant.
  







  The Iris below are in a pal's garden. I hope I can spend more time in this garden when we return. It's a favorite place to hang out and pull weeds, or transplant cuttings. 
  
  Yeah, my mind is wandering…Big Time…
   Sigh.




  Johnny and I have fallen in love with this great bar in San Feliciano. There is a big patio with lots of tables, and a park for kids. It sits right on Lago Trasimeno. We'll head over in the late afternoon for a glass of wine, a snack, and some really good people watching. Especially on a nice weekend.
  Sometimes Johnny will bring his unfinished paintings to work on. I'll have a book…
  Heaven.



Panicale is across the lake in the hills beyond that sailboat.
A short and lovely drive.


This painting is one for us.


  It's all so good…even the waiting part.



Sunset through Stew's fig tree.


  This year has been such an ongoing roller coaster ride, and it's still zooming up and down the tracks….I really don't know what tomorrow will bring. All I can do is keep moving forward, keep living life as normal as possible, and let my self dream the dream….

And breathe….




1 comment:

  1. Our minds are in the same place! Lovely post.
    Ciao, James & Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete