Sunday, March 15, 2015

Three Morning Walks



  My regular readers know that Johnny and I go out together on (very) early morning walks. We walk several mornings a week here in Umbria, and at home in California. It's how we keep our girlish figures, while eating (and dare I say drinking…) like a couple of teenage boys. 

  I must say, though, it's getting harder, as we grow older, to "get it up"to just get up, especially really early on cold mornings. But we do, and when we are finally out there, it's pretty sweet. 
  We get most of our serious talking done on these walks. Early in the walk. Then we can be goofy for the remainder of the day. It totally works for me. You'll have to ask Johnny what he thinks about these walks yourself. I'm too scared.

  Five days in, we are now trying to get into a semi-routine of walking. The jet-lag is pretty well over, so we no longer have that excuse. 
  And like I keep saying, we enjoy it, we enjoy it, we enjoy it….I'm trying to convince my bad old self! I'm half kidding. The landscape we walk in here and back in California, is beyond lovely, and it does start the day off with a bang.

  It's still winter-chilly here, but the first couple of days have been sunny and clear. We chose to take the walk to Missiano on day one, as the sun comes up and hits that side of the hill first.



A good start, I'd say!



Art installation/bench along the way.



We will walk to that little town way off around several turns….
It's a beautiful walk.



It was a nice clear day, with sun all day long.
We Californians always bring a few days of sun with us, it seems.




It becomes so easy when the views are like this.


  This is a good long walk, up and back to this little village. Johnny likes to paint here. He's painted the little chapel with the turquoise blue door several times. 
  This year, we noticed someone added a new hand made bench. It's sitting next to the regular bus stop bench. 
  Changes, always with the changes….sigh.



I'm trying out the new bench.
Yeah, it works.



I love seeing the early morning shadows
from the olive trees across the small valley.




Johnny stopped to sketch…
plus I like this suped-up red "ape"(ahh-pay).

More sketching, different spot.
Me? I'm sitting in the sun, making a new friend.



My newest pal.
I think he was just wicked cold. I was...




And I will name you
"Theodore"….
(but I will call you Mr. Wimpy)


  After bidding the wimpy one "arrivederci", we hoofed it back to Panicale, job well done.
  Time for breakfast.



As always, cue the Angels singing…..



  Next day, we tried what we now refer to as the "Big Walk". It takes a good chunk of time, so we know that we need to start early, and not have much planned for the morning. 
  I'm glad we did it, too. It's really helped kick the jet lag out the door. These walks just make it easier to sleep all night too.




I am so ready for the Big Walk!
Let's go, already!!



I like to take a photo here every year, because
it blows my little pea-brain to see all these trees bare,
and then full of leaves.




Another beautiful, chilly day.
Just strolling past a big old tower...




See? Frost on the ground, even.





  Ok. Here's the thing. I have walked past this gorgeous sink now for five years in a row. Why, oh why does it not come home with me? I will love it, use it in the garden, give it a charming name…."Sinky- Sink", let's say.
  I see myself serving drinks out of the ice it will hold, during our garden parties that never happen. I will fill it with succulents, perhaps…or I make a very small, but nonetheless amazing pond, complete with little goldfish and mini waterlilies, out of it. 
  It will be the one thing I have always needed to make me truly happy….

  It just taunts the living hell out of me. Damn you, Sinky-Sink! 
  I hate you.
  No, I love you.



Oh, what will it take.


  Back to walking.
  After passing through the nearby village, Paciano, we head down and all the way around to come up the opposite side of the hills. It's really a good walk.
  I just enjoy watching the fields change, and these views are to die for. To me, anyway.








It's farming country.


  With lunch on our minds, we keep on trucking' up the way, because we still have a good hike ahead of us...






Almost, but not quite back to Panicale…
And lunch.




  We skipped walking a day, because we walked all over just visiting a town nearby. It was as good as a nice morning walk. 
  Today, though we thought it might rain, we went for it. 
  BTW, it is now raining, and we have been in all day, since our walk. I made a big pot of soup. Johnny read art magazines he brought. We will head down to Bar Gallo for a glass of wine before dinner, but we will need umbrellas.

  We were lucky to get this walk in, just in time.
  This walk is up to the old cemetery/church on the hill. It's on a dirt path through the forests, but also goes by some gorgeous stone farmhouses along the way.
  Not too long, not too short, some good climbs. And great views.




They must have trimmed out or removed lots of trees.
We could never see the church so clearly before.
It' s up there, with an Italian Cypress next to it. See the path we'll be on?




We are amazed at how much has been cleared away.
We will ask someone how often this happens.
It's cool to be able to see it, though.




Just perfect for walking.
Sans snakes and wild boar, thank you.


  I have written about the old church here, on this blog, before. It's a favorite walk for many folks who stay or live in Panicale. Sometimes we just go up and back, sometimes we make it a part of a longer walk. It's a place Johnny paints from, too, as the view from the top is incredible.
  This morning, we went past the church, and back down the other side, then back. A very fine walk, indeed.
  Along the way down, I spotted these fragrant and darkly beautiful... wild irises, I think?




Irises? Orchids? 


  On closer look, they really remind me of Japanese iris, or even Dutch iris, so I'm going with wild iris. They certainly had a nice perfume.


Aren't they fantastic?



Another stellar view…but the rain clouds are coming in fast.






A favorite house and garden, along the way.
I like the blue rosemary blooms with the orange/yellow farmhouse.
I'll take it.


  We will walk and walk and walk. Watch as the seasons change, see people along the way, maybe even a wild boar, like last year.
  I have to always remember my little camera.
  I hope I never get tired of this.



The path back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment