Thursday, July 23, 2015

A Few Garden "Fricks"..And More



  A zillion years ago I worked at the Carmel Valley Begonia Gardens. 
  I knew that I loved plants, and had a bedroom that was not unlike a jungle. I would visit the Begonia Gardens anytime I had a little extra cash, just to see what new houseplants were available. 

  Thinking about it now, I realize that it started before our family moved…I think I began collecting plants when I was in 7th or 8th grade…Coleus, wandering jew, asparagus ferns..all the simple 'beginner' plants. 
  When we moved to Carmel Valley, it got a little out of control. In a good way, I think. It gave me something to care for, as well as something to do. I had no friends, being the new kid, and my plants became a huge focus.

  Anyway, I bring this up because it was Noel, the then owner of the Begonia Gardens, who coined the phrase "Fricks" for any plant that went weird. Either it would revert, or get some bizarre growth pattern…something odd like that. You plant lovers know what I'm speaking of.

  Because I am so very fond of variegated plants, I will sooner or later see something odd begin in my own little garden…my own little "fricks" to love and admire...



There is a big branch going goofy here.
This is so cool….



Our Buddha likes it just fine.



  I am always tempted to try and make cuttings of these little oddities, but I haven't yet. I guess I like to see where they will go, if I just let them be. As long as they look as great as these all do, I'm happy to sit back and watch.




This small bit of beauty just popped up on this geranium.
Usually, it goes the other way, and I lose the variegation completely on a branch.
Then it's called reverting to the original. Here, it's the opposite, it seems.




   I wonder if it's something about my soil that causes this 'white-out'…? I guess it's a virus of some sort.
As long as it doesn't cause any damage to the bigger part of the plants, I'm ok with it.

  Below are two of several areas around the garden where my plectranthus is "fricking out".










So trippy…..



  …And since I was shooting some pictures in the garden, I thought I'd add these, too…Just some areas I think are looking extra sweet right now.






Oh, YUM.




I just keep making more cuttings of my favorite succulents.
Why not, eh?



  The area around the fish 'pond'..which is really a huge pot, is looking so delicious right now. Better than ever.



I've gone back to watering the container plants with MaxSea, a product I like a lot.
The results are great. I save my water for the special things...




One last shot. The purple flowers are from this Brazilian impatient plant.
It dies back in winter, but seems to be loving the Max Sea.



  I'll let you know if or when I make cuttings of my little fricks. They would be fun to spread around…!


No comments:

Post a Comment