Monday, August 10, 2015

Always On Our Mind



  Boy, time seems to be flying by. 
  Not fast enough for me, though.

  What can I say? I am in a state that is not quite the "Be Here Now" I've been trying so hard to embrace.
  Waiting and wanting…wanting and waiting. 

  It's been some time since I've posted anything. Good news is we've been busy. Bad news, I miss going over the photos and moments I so enjoy sharing. Sharing with pals... and folks I've yet to meet.. that have a yearning for all things Italia.

  Since I've already booked the 2016 trip, I guess I have some catching up to do from this year's visit. I don't mind. I'm so ready.


  We look forward to being back in our little corner of Umbria each year. Arriving early in Spring is a bonus, as we get to watch the season change, big time, and there aren't many folks around yet. It gives us a chance to settle in and breathe.

  At one of our favorite watering holes, we watch the trees go through a major transformation...
  




Early March...



….mid May.



  The first evening possible, we are out at the walls of town enjoying the beauty of the sun coloring the old buildings, as well as the landscape….
  










Baby!


I'd say we're happy.





  It can be down right chilly, but the weather also makes for some enchanting photo opportunities.


Fields below the walls of town.


A break in the storm.
Looking towards Cortona from Castiglione del Lago.




  The fields are filled with contrasts this time of year…colors, textures, sounds.
  As Johnny works, I walk. I find that I am strongly drawn to the working landscape. The shocking green of the durham wheat, the chocolate brown of the recently tilled soil…It speaks to me. Loud and clear.
  Is it in my genes? My Grandpa Dottie was a dairy farmer. I feel I was born with dirt under my finger nails...


Abstraction, naturally.
I feel a kinship with this landscape.


  I know I'm no longer on the Central Coast of California. 
  Though somewhat similar, I think it might be the bell towers, umbrella pines and centuries old olive trees…The light and sound...
  Whatever it is, I have fallen very hard for it.


  

Again with the contrasts of color and texture..
















 Moments I come upon and must capture...




A peek into a local chapel...




Subtle, yet profoundly beautiful color inside a ruin...




A gift from nature...



Gentleness at the farm...




The perfect spot to nap...




At the end of a big hike….




A day at the lake...



A color combination I love….





  Sometimes we find ourselves at just the right place, and at just the right time..















  We have met some really great people, and look forward to seeing them all again.
  I'm pretty shy about taking photos of people. I don't really like having my picture taken…But I'm glad to have a few shots of some friends from "Our other life"…..



  It's just a matter of time, Amici!












































  It's wonderful having the luxury of time to just take random strolls. Sometimes in the countryside, sometimes several times a day around the walls of town. I especially enjoy the wisteria as it goes from stark branches to full bloom. 

  

Walking on a beautiful evening….What could be better?


  The wisteria seems to bloom at a different time each year. Of course, this has everything to do with the weather…and over the years we've seen it all! From really warm, way too early…to "when the hell is it going to warm up a little?" And snow!
  I always keep my fingers crossed that we get at least a couple of weeks of warm sunshine, but there is no guarantee! So far, we have seen the wisteria in all it's glory every year, but year one. Year two I made certain to push the trip longer…it's so worth it.







Seriously fragrant.




  So, anyway, this past trip had zillions of magical moments. Every trip does, right?

  Here are some last shots of moments I like remember.
  We can't wait to be heading back.



The taste of fresh fava beans with fresh pecorino and good Umbrian olive oil.
Oh…AND red wine, of course.



The sublime lakeside park we love to spend time at.




Stalking Colin Firth & Stanley Tucci to get a "backside" shot.
What can I say…I was too embarrassed to ask them to pose…
I love Mr. Firth's striped bag…so on trend!










The most stunning cloud reflections.



My "home away from home" garden.




Our favorite view at the best time of day.



Colors and shapes of our little town.


  We are a couple of fortunate characters. 
  People say "You guys are so lucky"….Yes, there is some luck, BUT…we have a vision and a purpose that we are working our tails off to achieve. 
  I think we've been doing a pretty good job of it, too. 
  Right, Baby?

 We'll be back in a few, Umbria! Keep a bottle of Grechetto chilled, ok?







4 comments:

  1. You have brought tears to my eyes with this post. It is all so incredibly wonderful, isn't it and we are so fortunate to have a place like Panicale in our lives. thanks for a perfect post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janelle...Elizabeth is so right...how is it that those of us who live far from Panicale, are all brought together in this enchanting place and become special friends. Ciao carissma, see you in March...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janelle...Elizabeth is so right...how is it that those of us who live far from Panicale, are all brought together in this enchanting place and become special friends. Ciao carissma, see you in March...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the trip Janelle. We will be looking for some special places in Spain and Morocco in 2016 - we will miss you and Panicale.

    ReplyDelete