Monday, October 30, 2017

Looking Back Ten Years



  In but a few short hours, we will be in the air...heading back to Umbria for a spell.
  It's become a comfortable routine....

  Ten years ago, though, Umbria was not yet on our 'to do' list. We wanted Venice. We wanted New York. Venice for the Biennale, New York for Manhattan. So we combined the two, and never looked back.
  In a few short hours, we will be on the way to Umbria, and though New York is not in this plan, the Venice Biennale is. 
  I can't wait....But since I have to, I decided to look back at some memories of that first jaunt to the Big Apple, on way to our first Biennale adventure....




We stayed near Washington Park, ate well and walked all over.
Saw tons of art....and a few major sights.






We need to return. It's been far too long.




  Two nights in the city were not enough, and we've returned a couple of times, but it's been awhile. Perhaps in the spring...?

  Afterwards, we couldn't wait to see Venice for the first time. We booked a two week stay in a small apartment with a view of a small canal out one window, and this out the other:





Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo.
We loved listening to the small groups of tourists as
they came into the tiny courtyard...


  Out the other side of the apartment, we watched the gondolas go by....



A good 'first time' visit.
We've loved Venice ever since.



  This will be our fifth visit for the Biennale, a city wide exhibition of the world's best contemporary artists. We try to make it every two years....
  Back then, ten years ago, I was bright eyed and bushy tailed. I like to think I still am, so... I still am.



Camera ready...but the blog would be about five years away.





A favorite place we visit each time for lunch.
Out near Burano, on the island of Mazzorbo,
this trattoria is still very old school.


  We've learned so much during our various stays in Venice, but mostly...I just think she is lovely.

















  I. Can't. Wait.
  To see tons of art, that is.....














































  I'm certain I'll be taking lots of photos, eating amazing food, sipping some great wines....
  All in all, experiencing this lovely city in all her glory.






No idea I'd have a blog and share these photos some day,
like ten years later!


  Oh, did I mention the art?




Johnny is not as enthusiastic about this sort of thing,
but I just love it. He likes paintings.
There is something for everyone.
















  Johnny is pretty excited, too. We've read some good things about this year...so we are ready.

















A favorite....


  I booked an amazing place this year, and can't wait to be there.
  Later, we'll head back to Umbria for a couple of weeks, to touch base with the apartment and friends. The back and forth is getting easier and easier.
  I can feel it already. First time in November, so we'll be ready for whatever weather will be thrown our way.
  Hey, it's all good.
  After all, it's Italy.






  I'll be busy posting once we settle in, so stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Just love your blog, and keeping up with your adventures! Thank you for sharing all this fun info! Have to ask, where do you stay in Venice? Do you have any recommendations? I also think you both may be vegetarians or vegans, not sure. Would love to hear your restaurant ideas, since I am vegan. We have been to Italy many times, and are planning another trip soon! Love your travel ideas! You inspire me to no end! Huge thank you!! Enjoy it all! I know that you will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao, Nancy! What a treat to hear from you. We are vegetarian, but not vegan...just can't give up good parmesan and mozzarella...sigh.
    We used to stay at Ca'Venexiana, in Dorsoduro. Loved it, but this year we trying an apartment through Truly Venice. I'll be posting, so we'll see how it is. We like to do cicchetti bars...like tapas-small plates. There are often several veg options, and it's fun, on a budget. 'Zucca' is a veg forward place we have been to, and plan to return this trip. We also like Pane e Vino, in Dorsoduro. I'll be posting about food and art, so stay tuned.
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janelle, Thank you, for your generous spirit! So appreciate, your sharing of info! Looking forward to more updates! All beautiful!

    ReplyDelete