Friday, May 18, 2018

An Evening In The Garden...




  Geez...I didn't think the garden could get any prettier than when we first got home a couple of weeks ago, but she's gone and done it...
  More roses, fuller maples and geraniums and all the shrubs are just bursting. 
  Sigh. 
  How delightful to gaze out from the back porch, or the kitchen window. Birds galore, enough sunshine (for now) to soak in the warmth, and color, color, color.







  So on our day off this week, we decided to putter around the yard, maybe do a little laundry...and grill a pizza. Why not?
  And while we were in the "deciding what to do" part of the day, we went ahead and harvested three artichokes to prepare 'Roman Style'.






  These are actually a variety of Italian 'carciofi' that I bought many years ago. They start out purple on the stalk, and I usually just let them flower. 
  There's still just a touch of lavender on the tips. 
  Note the 'spikes' on the chokes as well as the big leaves. I kid you not, these things could be used as weapons. I am so ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.



Picked and ready to clean.
Ouch. Double ouch.
   I know I've mentioned sneaking some herbs back to the states from the Umbrian fields, and this is why.
  Mentucchia is a wild herb that tastes like a cross between oregano and mint. It is an essential ingredient in true 'carciofi all Romana', so I just had to bring some home for my herb garden.

  The recipe calls for a good amount of the herb, as well as an even more than good amount of garlic. You can finely dice these two ingredients, along with parsley(I don't use parsley), and sort of stuff them into the cut and cleaned chokes. I just toss the herb and garlic into the water/oil/white wine mixture. Add the carefully cleaned chokes, and let them braise until soft. Then gently boil off half of the excess water, so you just have a gorgeous golden liquid to dip bread into...







  This was our first course on our night off. Notice the bowl of liquid gold on the left. We drizzle and dip our grilled bread that has also been rubbed with extra oil and garlic. We couldn't resist having extra bread, un-grilled, too...




Yep. That's pretty much heaven on a plate.
Don't forget to cook the cleaned stems, too!!




Mash all that soft, tasty goodness on that bread, man!
White wine is a nice beverage in this situation.

  Well, after gorging on 'carciofi all Romana', we started the charcoal up, I took some time to photograph the garden again. The light was just so nice, and there are more roses popping open.



David Austin rose "Tamara".
One of my favorites. Killer color combo,
I have to say.


Another David Austin rose, "English Garden"
She is one of the first I bought, almost twenty years ago, I guess.


Lemon Verbena, just to rub our hands in. 



These guys are loving their new digs.
They used to be in the old gallery garden.
I brought them home. The old gallery has been totally demolished.




I love,  just love my "Lady Banksia" rose.




'Constance Spry", again...


Sweet little "Penelope".
Another twenty year old in my garden.


  Back to grilling...
  Pizza. Margherita Pizza. 
  Is there any other? I mean really?



Maybe too thin?



Cooking fast!


Flip that baby!
I do like some char, as regular readers know...

Red, white and green.
So Italian!

I think that our grilled pizza is better than any pizza in town.
Right, Mr. J?



Right.

1 comment:

  1. Damn, it all looks so good! The garden and the artichokes and the pizza. Living the good life, you two are.

    ReplyDelete