Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Spring Risotto. Mmmmmm!


I have been very slow on the blog posts....sorry. I hope to catch up!

A week or so ago, I made a very delicious risotto featuring peas, leeks and asparagus. It's one of my favorite combos.
I had already shelled a bunch of peas, and set the pods in the freezer to make a nice broth. I added the leek and asparagus trimmings, and it turned out great.


Waiting to become broth!



Just add water and simmer for an hour or so...



Strain, and voila! Best broth in the world!

 

The farmer's markets are full of these goodies right now.








Prep the veg, and you are ready to go.




I like to sauté my leeks first in a bit of olive oil, then add the peas and asparagus and cook them until almost done. This is one recipe that I don't add garlic to. I want these subtle flavors to shine. This is also why I make the broth...it just adds more of these wonderful flavors.





On this evening, because the asparagus was a big bunch, I decided to roast some, too... just a little evoo, salt, and that's it.






While the veggies cook, I warm up the broth. Always add the broth warm, if possible.




Once the veg are done, I put them aside in a bowl to add at the very end.




This is the rice I use for risotto when we're here.
I like it better than arborio.



I toss the rice into some heated olive oil, and stir it for a few minutes, then I start adding the warm broth a ladle at a time, continuing to stir.
Oh, I almost forgot...I splash in a little white wine just about now, to deglaze the pan and add a bit more flavor.





Adding broth and stirring!



More of the same, for about 18-20 minutes, waiting as the rice absorbs each ladle of broth,  until you bite into a bit of rice and it's still got some texture. You don't want it to get too soft. It will turn mushy fast!






At this point, I add in the veggies to warm them through, and finish off the rice.





It's not a bad idea to toss in a little butter at this point, if you want.




Dish it up with a side of roasted asparagus, a sprinkle of parmesan, and you will be this close to heaven, my friends.






Not a bad supper!


No comments:

Post a Comment