Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Day Tripping To Burano & Torcello


STILL catching up on blog posts from Venice....The internet connection there was super fast, so I loaded up several "drafts" of posts with photos, etc.
Now, back in Umbria, I can relax and actually write something.

While we were staying there, the Pope made a visit, and knowing it would be mayhem in town, we took a boat out to the nearby islands of Burano and Torcello. It was nice out, and not too many people around. Perfect!

I've done several posts on the outer islands of Venice in the past, so forgive me for sharing many of the colorful buildings I've most likely shown before. What can I say? They are still so damn pretty!
I can't resist...





One of me very favorites...I love the rundown look of it...
 



Window detail.



We like to get off the boat at stop for Mazzorbo, a small island connected by a bridge to Burano. There is hardly ever Anyone walking around., so we like to wander the quiet streets...
Some lovely details, below.


The white flowers are Stock, and it smelled fabulous!



Love the rosary beads.


Mazzorbo has it's own charm, just way less tourists.









The cemetery walls with classic Italian Cypress trees.



Another colorful scene....







These roses with the blue wall...wowza.



Back over the bridge to Burano, famous for it's brightly colored houses...and interesting details.

Love this old door and signage.





Classic Burano scene.

 
They say that the houses are painted bright colors so the local fisherman can see their homes as they come in from the sea.








I liked the color of these iris with the homes in the background...






It's just wild!







Not all homes are painted bright, and I kind of like these old beauties.







Most of the clock towers and bell towers look like
they have tied one on!



It was so nice to be away from crowds.



 











After walking all around Mazzorbo and Burano, we took the boat to Torecello, the original spot where Venice was born...or so we've been told.




A lovely garden scene we walked by on Torcello.


Johnny did a painting while we were there, and I will do a post about it on my other blog:



Johnny painting the church building on Torcello. 
It's a gorgeous building, and well worth visiting.




A little frolic after working!



And back in St. Mark's Square:


Glad to have escaped the crowds that came to see the Pope!


No comments:

Post a Comment