Friday, April 29, 2011

You Did Not

  Yes, I did. Really. And something tells me I'm not the only one.
  I got up at 2:15 this morning to watch the Royal Wedding. William and Kate...gettin' hitched.
  Maybe it was because I haven't been watching all the lead up to this event, so I was all fresh for it. Also, Johnny is a total romantic, old school style, so he was up at 1:00 to catch every minute. He promised to wake me up at 3:00, but I guess my interior clock went off automatically as soon as the Bentleys and Rolls Royces started up their engines.
  It was sweet. We curled up with blankets and oohed and aahed for 2 hours. I think I even saw a little glisten in my dear heart's eye as the two exchanged vows. I'm not kidding. A real love fest, on a grand scale.
 The men looked dashing, the women had fantastic hats, the kids were cute, it didn't rain on the parade, and Kate's gown was just lovely. There were thousands of people lining the avenues, waving little British flags, hoping for a glimpse. All was well in that little world.
 I guess that's why I enjoyed this spectacle. I had to drop my snarky, cynical side for a bit. I can be quick to criticize in a moment like this one, and normally would have done so with gusto. Instead, I really looked at them, listened to the prayer they wrote to be read aloud, noticed how they looked at each other, and kind of marveled at the fact that we were all watching a true love story.
 In the ever relevant words of Elvis Costello: "What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?"

 OOO-OO-OOOH...   Nothing, that's what.



 

1 comment:

  1. I did the same thing... set the alarm got up to watch... my youngest was supposed to "watch" with me from his home... but he had a rough week and he dvr'd it and then we were able to talk about it later in the day.... made for one long day however.... but I enjoyed the wedding...

    ReplyDelete