Friday, May 27, 2011

Friends In The Garden

  Every May, we get a little spot of nice weather that coincides with the garden looking particularly fine. Our coastal weather is so unreliable, it's hard to plan anything in the garden.
  So this past week or so, I decided, screw it, I'm having some friends come over that have never seen the garden before. My close pals are welcome any old time. It doesn't matter if the garden is in the hell days of August, or the house is a mess. But there are some folks that we keep wanting to invite over, and I get all compulsive about wanting everything "perfect"... which is a big old joke.
  I do believe it has been said "life is short". So, in the spirit of letting go, and learning how to lighten up a bit, I had some people over. And the house wasn't perfect. And the garden wasn't perfect... and the weather wasn't perfect. But you know what? Our friends are, and we are having some big fun sharing our space with them.
  I believe I've had a breakthrough.

Johnny saw this recipe in the latest Sunset. Bruschetta (surprise!) with
pan roasted tomatoes. It ROCKED.

The hors d'oeuvre table. I tried the dried apricot, goat cheese and marcona almonds
from Food & Wine magazine.
You mix basil in the cheese, and drizzle with honey.

Love the fire pit, but it was toooo smokey. Looks good here, though.

Two of my little lovelies, enjoying. 

Almost didn't get a shot in time, the bruschetta went so fast! A smear of good ricotta
topped with the awesome tomatoes, fresh basil.

My new alternative to potato chips. Little roasted potatoes with olive oil and salt.
Addictive? You can't eat just one... especially dipped in spicy hummus...
Yummus.

             Dinner: Pasta with fennel, red onions and marjoram. Plenty of Parmesan, of course.                                                            
Johnny grilled lots of veggies, including portabella mushrooms and asparagus,
and a simple arugula salad with meyer lemon/olive oil dressing.
  .

1 comment: