Friday, May 6, 2011

Going Home

  Even though I'm in my 50's, have moved several times, own my house, and live 150 miles away- for me "going home" means going wherever my Mom and Dad live. And they've moved several times, as well. Sometimes I think it's because I don't have kids, so I'm in the sweet spot of being a perpetual kid myself. Our house is home, too ... but not the same.
  It's been years since I've brought my laundry to do, and I've started cooking more for them on these trips.I guess as we get older it's a natural progression to want to do more and more for our folks. After all I've put them through, it seems only fair. And I never take it for granted that I have both my parents around, ready to have some fun at the drop of a hat. It's a true luxury.
  This week, we needed to drop a painting off at a gallery in their area, so we stayed for a little visit. This means food, drink, dominoes. The weather was gorgeous, and we were able to hang around outside, talking about our recent trip as well as the time we spent together in Italy a few years ago, all over a beautiful Brunello we had brought back, while playing dominoes and munching on Dad's homegrown and cured olives. I LOVE this.
  I decided I wanted to re-create the wonderful onion and sage flatbread we enjoyed in Umbria, so that's what we did. There were some nice vine ripened tomatoes at the market, and I made a nice Caprese salad to go with. The flatbread turned out great... not quite as tender as Umbria, but we liked the slightly burnt edges and crispiness of the dough. Lots of olive oil, of course, Mom's fresh sage - and a very hot 500 degree grill helped. A warm evening, good wine, and candle light made for a perfect dinner.

 I just wish we could do it every week....



Mom, Dad, Prosecco and dominoes. My idea of a perfect combo.

Dinner at Estate Restaurant in Sonoma ... a favorite.

Early summer Caprese salad, with thyme in place of basil.
I always like to serve this on a bed of arugula.

Caramelized onions with sage and lots of olive oil. Ready to go into the grill.
 This was the first time I used a pizza stone. Not the last!

It was pretty dark when we took this photo, but you get the idea.
Crispy edges on the crust. The sage looks burnt, but it was perfect.
 No cheese, just plenty of olive oil.
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment