Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Early Days In Panicale, 2013







  Three days in and we are like a couple of kids on Christmas morning that have gotten everything they asked for.... Just really happy to be back, embraced by the friends we've made over the last two trips. They say third time is the charm, and if that means anything close to this happiness, well, I'll take it.
  I always feel as though I need to go on and on about how we love were we live, and how great our life back home is.... and it's all so true. I can't stop feeling so f-ing lucky to be living this duality. Thank you, AGAIN, powers that be...yeah, yeah, yeah..... get on with it, already.

  So. It's a bit chilly in Panicale, but the past 2 days have been sunny, so all the people in town are soaking up the first warm days of the year, after a long winter. Hey, more rain coming, so we enjoy this sun while we can. All the benches in the piazza touched by the sun are full of locals and tourists alike. We are quick to tell everyone that we brought the sun from beautiful California. 
  Our apartment, Casa del Sarto, made available by our dear friend Katia, is perfect. Steps from the main piazza, it is just what we need. Though we are still in jet-lag, waking at 3am each morning, we sleep like babies anyway. It's so quiet here right now, and in the walls, even more so at night. We awake to the sound of hundreds of birds.





The front door, to Casa del Sarto, our home
for the next couple of months. We are in the top two floors.




The walk to our apartment, from the parking area outside the walls.


  Though there is no garden this year, I did buy some herbs in pots at the Cortona open market on Saturday. They will do just fine on the front stoop, and I love having them for cooking. I already miss having the huge outdoor space we had last year, but it's so great being right inside the walls.
  As soon as it gets a tad warmer (it will, right....?), I'll get a few more pots, some soil, and do some color along the steps. It' s always fun to visit the local nurseries.




I couldn't help buying some herbs for cooking, to put at the front door.



The gate we enter. Take a right and we're almost home.
We park just to the right, outside this main gate.



Looking at the apartment from outside the walls.
We are just to the right of the round tower, top two floors. 
  



  We like to get into our walking routine right away, what with all the massive devouring of pasta and various other carb delights. Plus, the views knock me out over and over again. The morning walk to Paciano right now is, well, cold. But, hey...there are cappuccino waiting on that end, so it's great incentive. 
  Last year, Spring had come strong and early, so by the time we arrived in mid March, there were already wildflowers and buds on all the flowering trees and shrubs. It's pretty much still late winter here now....
  We can still enjoy the big views over Lago Trasimeno, though...





Clear and cold view across the lake.




Lots of olive trees are being pruned right now, not these...yet...



  We are used to walking in the cold, and there isn't any wind, thankfully. But we are bundled up good.


Johnny checking out a favorite shrine.





Very icy and frosty on the shady side of the road.






I have to say, I love the texture, even if it is wicked chilly.



  Just outside of Paciano, I see it again. The garden sink of my freaking dreams. Really? Still right there? Only now with little weeds growing inside? Man oh man, it just isn't fair. So close, and yet so far.
  I fell in love with this apparently abandoned stone sink three years ago. It's still in the same damn spot, just hanging there, waiting for me to figure out: 
1) who owns it, 
2) how I can make it mine.... and most importantly, 
3) how the hell I can get it home.  
  I swear, if it is still here next year, I'm serious. It's going to come home with me. (sure....)





A girl can dream, can't she? Think I'll take that gorgeous shovel, too.

  We have been running around like crazy, getting all we need to settle in: food, art supplies, what not and so forth....so we've eaten out while rushing here and there. But I do enjoy cooking at home, so I've gotten a few choice goodies in the fridge, and begun making the kitchen my own.
  It's working out just fine. Dear Katia brought us some wonderful cheese, and we loaded up at the market, so we are well on our way to full cupboards and fridge.




Our first lunch in Casa del Sarto...cheese thanks to Katia!

  

With artichoke season in full swing, I had to steam up a few to have around. They begin purple, but go greenish as they cook. I like to throw garlic cloves in the steaming water, and drizzle olive oil on top as they steam. Here we just dip the leaves in good olive oil with a little salt...buono.
  I heard this evening that the wild asparagus are starting to come up, too. Hope to find some at the farmers market this week!





First dinner of chokes, pasta tossed simply with caramelized onions and sage in browned butter
and a salad of tomato and arugula, with parmesan. Yum.


  It's coming together, and it's always an adventure. The big plan tomorrow: Find more good wood and kindling for the fireplace. There is rain in the forecast, and I'd love to curl up with a good book and just take a chill-pill for a few hours.
  Basta.



Watching the sun set from a great view point outside Panicale.

No comments:

Post a Comment