Monday, March 24, 2014

A Favorite Walk Near Panicale



  We've had a change in the weather. It's sort of gone back to a feeling of winter…colder, wetter and wicked winds, too. I know this will pass, and spring will return. We have been through this pattern before. This is nothing like last year's "Winter Vortex" that lasted way beyond May, even. 
  We were really happy to have our first week and a half of warmer than normal weather, though. What a treat.

  It gave us a chance to take one of our favorite walks, up to the old cemetery on the hill. I wrote about it on one of our previous trips, here.
  The walk is just strenuous enough to get the heart pumping, which is always good. Plus, the views of this side of the valley are stunning. The day these were taken, it had been quite warm, and there was a haze of smoke from olive tree clippings being burned in the morning. Still, it had a dreamy quality...








  There are so many olive groves around Panicale. This walk goes through a few, and I always enjoy the wildflowers coming up beneath the trees.



These trees haven't been pruned yet, from what I can tell.


  On the way up to the spot we were walking to, it has a few choice hills, with a pretty good incline. Gets you ready for the benches at the top. 
  I was looking down, most of the time, expecting to see a snake…it was that sort of warm day in spring when you might glimpse a snake…if you know what I mean. Sadly, I only saw lizards, but they are a very lovely shade of green here.



Up, up, up…but no snakes.


   I'll tell you what I did see for the very first time…"cinghiale" tracks! These are wild boars, best know for the pasta sauce that is made from them, poor things.

  We have heard them once, when we were taking a night time stroll in the area just outside of Panicale. It scared me to death, just hearing it. You could tell it was big and also fast and most probably nasty.
  We turned tail that night and walked/ran back home. They make an evil sounding grunt-snort-cough sort of sound.
  Let's just say, seeing the hoof prints is close enough for me, thank you.




Nearby, the leaves and wet dirt underneath were all dug up.
I assume the fellow was rooting around for grubs and worms..


  At the top of the hill, where the old cemetery is, there are two benches to sit on and enjoy the views. The sun was warm, we were ready for a little bite to eat…it was perfect.
  It was even more perfect when Peter, a fellow that lives nearby, came walking up, too. He told Johnny all sorts of wonderful historical tales about the place. 
  It was nice.




Pear, walnuts and some local pane di formaggio…cheese bread. Yum.



  Johnny always sketches or paints here. This day, I think he just sketched. We both spent a good bit of time reading in the sun, too. Heaven.







  Back on the trail, we worked our way down to home. It's a fairly easy hike, as I said, but a real special one. We'll go back up several times before we leave, I'm certain.

  It will change quickly, with the deciduous trees leafing out, and the bulk of the wildflowers still to come. I can't wait for the red poppies!









  Also, this is the trail with one of the great views of Panicale, itself. On a clear day, the lake with it's islands seem close enough to touch. I have taken way too many pictures here.
  This time Johnny wanted to take one of me, which I don't always like….but it was such a nice day….




My goofy old self.



And here's the "Money Shot" again!
Just at the end of the hike. What a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment