Sunday, March 23, 2014

Some Home Cooking, So Far...




I'll admit it, right up front…I love to eat out. Here, there…every where. 
  If there is the slightest chance that I can get a decent meal there, I would gladly go to hell today with a smile on my face. 

  Here in Umbria, we tend to fix meals at home more often. I'm not at "work" all day, so I have the luxury of time to go to the market and see what's fresh, as well as take the little extra time to cook up something different. 

  Sometimes (like, all the time….), at home on a work night, I just fix us some soup from a can. It's good, organic "Amy's" soup, but still…It's kind of embarrassing….Don't get me wrong, I'll make a nice salad and have some good whole grain bread(well, every once in the while..), but it can get pretty routine. 
  And here I sit, writing a blog that has an awful lot to do with food…who do I think I'm fooling?
  OK! I'm a cheater! Is that so wrong?!?
  I love to eat, but I may not totally love to cook. I think I'm just kind of lazy….Whew. I said it.

  So, now that I have confessed my biggest sin as an adult, can we puleeeze move forward?

  Here, below are some easy-peasy home cooked meals that I've whipped up in the past week or so...


  I've really been enjoying the produce markets, like always. There is a farmer's market close by almost every other day, so it's easy to get caught up in the beautiful choices, and before you know it, you have too much. 

  This year I'm trying to just shop for a day or two at a time, as the locals have done for centuries. I love that there are certain things only available for a month or so, like the foraged greens and such…they are a wonderful connection to the region.
  We are seeing fava beans coming on, as well as the small, pointy purple artichokes, and the wild asparagus…but I'm staying with some tried and true veg in this first dish….



Zucchini, tomatoes, onions and garlic..good local olive oil and fresh marjoram.


Saute until you get a little caramelization...



Also have some polenta going on the side….



And, Presto!…a super simple dinner for a chilly evening
in front of the fire. Just add a glass of wine, and a fennel salad...



  I actually bring my Japanese style mandoline, because it's so easy to pack, and I love to make these shaved fennel salads. I dress them with freshly squeezed blood orange juice, a few drops of olive oil, and some parmesan. Salt & pepper to taste… this is a quick and satisfying dish. Super fresh.






  Last week at the Tavernelle market, they had piles of rapè, a cousin to broccoli "rabe" that we get in the states. It's bitter and tastes like it has to be good for you. I like to braise it with lots of garlic and onion, a splash of water and olive oil….it gets nice and soft, perfect for a frittata. 

  The eggs here still blow my little pea brain..the yolks are soooo orange!
  Anyway, I had fixed said frittata one night, knowing we would have plenty left over for another meal. With the weather being so grand (well, until a day ago…), we went out for a painting/picnic foray. It was nice to stop and enjoy our lunch on a bench in Villastrada, a favorite nearby town...



Leftover frittata is always best! I made a small tomato salad, and added in
the wonderful and much loved onion/sage "pizza" from our local baker.


Can you say "Y.U.M."?

   See? I can cook, when I want to. And, oh….I want to, when I'm here!

  Another lunch is another favorite while here.
  I have posted before about our beloved Fontemanna, the nearby family operated dairy that makes the most awesome cheeses and yogurts from their very well treated sheep…we love their whole scene, and always want to share them with the world…
  Anyway, soon after (like about ten minutes) our first visit, I made a very fine lunch featuring their very fine cheese...



Our initial purchases from Fontemmana..
Yogurt, semi-ripe pecorino, and their freshest and softest "Primosale".






This is sort of like a mozzarella, but from sheep's milk.
 It's also saltier, which I like very much.




Take the Primosale cheese, add some tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and arugula..
We have a salad to die for.


  At the same outdoor market that I got the greens for the frittata, I couldn't help buying some agretti, which is only available for about three minutes, it seems. Seriously, we will see it at the markets for a couple of weeks, and then it's done. 
  Traditionally, it's cooked up and dressed with olive oil and lemon. This is what I do, too…only I like to serve it with polenta, which I'm not certain is traditional, but it sure tastes great.






My agretti score. First taste is free, baby!




  I rinse it well, cut it into smaller pieces, and sauté with lots of garlic…once it turns bright green and is wilted, it's done. Toss with lemon and very good olive oil…fantastic!



Agretti and garlic, ready for the pan...


   With it's grassy, briny flavor, I think it's a perfect companion for polenta.




Seriously delicious.



  So, right now it's late Sunday night…tomorrow is Tavernelle market day. What will I find? I'll let you know. Plus, the cheese place is nearby the market, and we are in need of more yogurt and cheese!
  I really can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment