Sunday, April 24, 2016

Climb Every Tower!



  Yeah, I've climbed some tall stuff….




That big one in Paris...






The dome in Florence….




This beauty in Siena...



…. San Gimignano…..





Waaayyyyyy up there….
In Castiglione d'Orcia...




Rocca d'Orcia.





…..But….the one I really hoped to tackle this year was the one in Radicofani. 

  For over a decade now, we have driven roads going here or there, and I would see it. Way over there, on the very tip-top of that hill….just mocking me.



"Bet you'll never get over here and climb me….Chicken.
Hehehehe."

  

Well, the last laughs on you, Rocca di Radicofani!




I'm gonna climb you…and I'll like it!






Let me just say, Johnny is a trooper.
What he has to put up with….oy.


  Beautiful, clear day. Not too windy. Perfect for big views.



Gulp. What was I thinking?





Oooopsy.
Too late to turn back now.


  It's pretty basic. 
  Up, up, up…then very narrow stairwell, then you get hit with blasts of wind because you are at the tippy-top of the world!















We had it all to ourselves.
Beauty!




We started way down there…..



Killer views.
 I could see both Lago Trasimeno and Lago Bolsena!
Daniele told us later that night that you can see the dome of St. Peter's
on a really clear day…with binoculars.




  (A quick aside….You would never see a place like this, without fencing, ugly plastic barriers, etc. in the States….Anyone can just hop up and over, if they want. 
  Here, it is assumed you will be responsible for yourself, as well as your kiddies, pets and trash.
  Most refreshing to be treated as an actual thinking adult.)



Yes I did.
I rule.




Put this one down as DONE.
I'm ready for the next challenge, baby!



1 comment: