Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Pizza Party



  Sometimes we stumble into opportunities. 

  We weren't out looking to make pizza, but ran into Anna, a great woman who has lived here for years, but was at one point from California. She owns and rents a wonderful villa nearby, and often sets up fun adventures for her clients and others.
  She mentioned that she was getting a small group together to go to another Anna's house to learn how to make pizza. Would we be interested?
  Pizza Party? Sure, why not??

  A week or so later, we find ourselves in italian Anna's garage, which has an awesome wood burning pizza oven, as well as a washing machine and other typical garage stuff. 
  After we were all introduced, I knew this would be a most enjoyable evening. It was a very fun group of people.








  Earlier in the day, because they needed to 'rise', Anna had made several pizza balls, ready to be baked...






  Even though there was a whole batch ready, we were still shown how to mix, knead and roll out a whole new batch…We enjoyed watching! 





Giullia & I ready to Roll!





A special flour for pizza, ready for it's wet component...





A combo of water, yeast & milk.


  Naturally, there is video evidence from the evening…..







  That would be CA Anna from the villa translating. Her language skills are impressive, and make me want to study even more. 







  After making our balls, they were set to rise, and we were given the already risen dough to work with. It was a blast, and everyone was having fun.




That's Italian Anna, the teacher, and Stefano.
"Fa questo primo…"  -you do this first...

I rolled real good.
Real, real good.





Ready for toppings!


  Ok, can I just take a moment to pat myself on the back?

  Though I struggle mightily, I try to use my italian language as much as I possibly can. This year, I feel I have made a huge jump forward, and in situations like this, below, it's a joy to be able to communicate. I can even joke around some, and they understand. The laughing and kidding are such a huge part of the 'getting to know each other'.

  Anyway, this is me, chatting away here, learning what can AND CAN'T…be put together on a pizza.
  Who knew there were topping rules? Well, let me just say…there are.

  Also we are talking about cooking in general, where my grandparents came from, where we are from and staying, etc, etc, etc.
  I love speaking italian!! And at the end, there is smoke coming out my ears from working my pea-brain so hard.
  But I'm really proud of myself for sticking with it.



Also, the whole vegetarian thing…yeesh. She understood.
The two thumbs up are for having capers as an add on.





My masterpiece.
Onion, mushroom, capers, zucchini, tomato & the best mozzarella ever.
This pizza…no red sauce allowed. Thems the rules!


  Then Johnny had a go at it…..







  Johnny did cheese, lots of cheese…yum.
  Next, into the wicked-hot oven they go!









Ooooohhhhh…that's my pizza!



  Because it's a zillion degrees in there, my pizza was ready in about three minutes.
  No joking.



Cue the singing pizza angels……
Aaaaaahhhhhhh!



  We all made pizzas, some of us made two, and we shared them all amongst the group.
  Wine was passed around, of course, and lots of eating, talking, laughing…



I love that they put up sheets to hide the garage stuff.
Sweet.






Damage being done…
The pizzas just kept coming.


  Though I was stuffed, I made another.

  OH! I almost forgot to mention this important part..Stefano cut all the pizzas with scissors. No pizza roller things, or knives…just good scissors. Basta.




Onion, shrooms & mozzarella.
My favorite.


  The neighbors began showing up, and it was a good thing. No way could our group eat all these pizzas being made. 
  All those balls needed to be used, so…
  We had to have dessert pizza, too.



Nutella, of course.
They put bananas on, too, sometimes.


  And last, but not least, the home made pomegranate grappa came out.
  Good lord.




This is how it's done here.



  A big thanks to Anna from CA for including us, as well as Anna from Casamaggiore for being such a fun host/teacher/pizza maker.
 And all her helpers…what a dynamite night!

1 comment:

  1. DAMN FUN.. ARE THOSE SHEETS FOR CURTAINS? i WAS TRYING TO SEE...

    ReplyDelete