Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A Gift Becomes Dinner


  Asparagi di Bosco…..Wild asparagus foraged from the woods.
  You know it's spring in Umbria, friends.

  What a treat, and how quickly it comes and goes from the weekly outdoor markets in our area. I'd been eyeing them the last two weeks, but hadn't yet bought any…when we were delighted to receive this gorgeous bunch from dear Daniele and Aldo.
  We were really touched….

  What a perfect way to spend a very rainy and cold afternoon…getting all prepped for dinner later on.
  



So pretty!







  Unlike the cultivated varieties we find at the grocery stores here and back home, these are truly a wild thing. Locals park their cars along the country roads to head into the woods and play hide & seek with these elusive greens. Everyone has a secret spot, I'm certain.

  They can be tough and woody at the far end of the stems, and the flavor is of the woods and fields. Almost grassy, but with the familiar asparagus taste, though very subtle.
  Because of the tough stems, I always steam the top half until they are tender, and use the rest for broth.




At this point, an ice bath is a good idea to stop the cooking process.
Now they are ready for any dish you choose. Tonight it was risotto.


  I decided to make a simple risotto with the asparagus, and also some leeks. It's such a perfect combination.



Leeks sautéing in good olive oil.


  I like to use the stems and skins, etc. of whatever vegetables I'm making risotto with for the broth I'll be using in the dish. Here, it's just the tougher parts of the leeks and asparagus.



I kept it on a simmer for a couple of hours, then set aside to drain for later.





  Once the leeks were cooked until tender, I just added in the steamed asparagus to get them all mixed together. Later this will be added to the risotto.





Sautéed yumminess.



  I use Arborio rice most of the time. I'm used to it, and I like the nutty flavor.
  As always, just toast the uncooked rice in olive oil until it gets a translucent look and a slight fragrance.




Keep it moving! You must stir so it doesn't burn.





Add a cup of your favorite…in this case a fine local white… wine.
 

  I will assume you sort of know how to do all this…slowly add broth and let the rice absorb, etc….








  After adding the vegetables from earlier, the risotto came together beautifully, and the fragrance was amazing.



I like to add a good chunk of butter and a healthy handful of parmesan
right at the end. Just a little 'soupy', too.




Did I mention good parmesan?
 Here…it's a-may-zing.








  All I can say is :
  Grazie, Daniele and Aldo!!!! 
  Questo regalo era perfetto per Johnny ed io!





Risotto con Asparagi di Bosco e Porri!

No comments:

Post a Comment