Sunday, November 19, 2017

Art In Venice: Jean Boghossian




  There is always too much to see, let alone take in, when tackling the Venice Biennale. This is our fifth time, and I sort of know what to expect.
  Expect the unexpected...
  This may mean seeing the most fabulous and interesting exhibition you have ever experienced, or it could mean viewing a work so disturbing, ridiculous, confusing, downright ugly, or just, well... blah. There is plenty of everything in between, too.
  I usually am quite taken by three or four shows that stick in my mind as my favorites. This year was no exception.
  Johnny and I often have very differing views on what we like/don't like/shrug off/hate.
  As it should be. He loves painting. I like whatever strikes my fancy. It makes for some very interesting discussions.
 I won't pretend to be any kind of expert art critic, as I have mentioned many times before. I just know what appeals to me, for various reasons. I encourage you to do your own research on any of the artists I discuss, if they strike your fancy, too.
  

  One of my faves this year was the Jean Boghossian show in the Armenian Pavilion. 
  We always like to see this venue, because the old palazzo and it's grounds are just beautiful. 



Inside the courtyard of the Palazzo Zenobia.


  I had never heard of the artist, Jean Boghossian, but we were curios.






  As someone that has dabbled in the wonderful ways of fire, the show had me from the get go.
 ( Johnny, not so much, but he was a good sport and gave me lots of time to wander through.)

  This artist is known for working in fire and smoke.
  LOVED it.

  I don't try to understand, I just go my gut reaction to the work. 




The first big room had this massive piece.
Below are burnt books, and the large verticals are torched resin.



Almost like calligraphy, in an odd three demential way.















  Next were several rooms with large scale canvases that had been burned and 'smoked'...no paint, per say. No brushes...just a blow torch and smoke.
  







At first look, I didn't realize what it was...




...but then I saw the actual burnt canvas. So cool.




  Some of the pieces were so soft and serene, considering all.



Just smoke.





Very slightly charred.











  It's always a trip to see such contemporary work in these old beautiful spaces.







Smoke.









These 'scrolls' were very cool. 





Some pigment tossed on and torched.







  These, below, had a plastic(?) layer that the artist torched, to add interesting texture and color.





  I have seen and love the work of Italian artist Alberto Burri, so it was no surprise to read that the President of the Burri Foundation was the curator of this show. Boghassian is much inspired by Burri.
  









Another piece with some obvious pigment. So fine.



Detail.



  

  I have a couple more posts of favorites, and then a long perplexing(I just don't know what to think) post about the Damien Hirst extravaganza to come in the near future.

  If you like this artist, here's more:

 Jean Boghassian


 

No comments:

Post a Comment