Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Trees And Light And An Afternoon Drive



  It has been a rough first week here in Umbria. We are so happy to be back, but we haven't been able to really get out and do the things we normally do...morning walks, painting, taking day trips...the weather has been a bit harsh, to say the least.
  Honestly, this is our first experience with so much rain and cold weather in March. I think we've been lucky in the past. It's a learning experience, for sure, and I think we're doing pretty well, considering (considering we are wimpy Californians who cringe at weather that isn't between 64-75 degrees. No higher, no lower, thank you).

  We are looking forward to a couple of sunny days coming up, though it will still be quite chilly. I don't mean to complain, I'm enjoying having meals with our friends and stopping into Bar Gallo every evening. It's the little things we do love the most. Plus....I've become wicked good at starting a fire in the fireplace, and grilling in that same fireplace.

  During a short break between rainstorms yesterday, while Mr. J was napping in front of the fire, I decided I couldn't take it any more and headed out for a little walk. Come rain or shine, I needed to move! No big deal, just a walk to a nearby place where they sell fruit and vegetables. I needed a few things... it was a win-win. The sky was pretty dramatic, so I brought the camera. I was happy I did...

  I just love seeing umbrella pines and Italian Cypress trees planted together, and I had fun taking photos of my favorite local planting nearby...


Storm passing through I was walking.
A long view of the tree studded lane leading to my destination.



The rain soaked fields are getting to maximum hydration, I think.

  
 I was lucky that the storm blew by and the sky opened to blue for a few moments to get some nice shots as I walked. It's amazing how fast these little cells of rain tear through the valley. One moment it's almost black, then it will clear for a minute, then it's pouring rain with thunder and lightning. I've gotten used to it.
  Always carry an umbrella, and expect to get wet at some point.




Heading down the lane...



...and heading back up after shopping for veggies.
I like this shot very much. A tunnel of pines and cypress.



A favorite farmhouse along the way, with perfect Italian cypresses.
This is a classic scene



Another small scene of the cypress and pines together, just up the road.

 
  As I was heading back to The Nut, a car pulled up next to me, and there was Johnny, all rested up and ready to take a late afternoon drive. Bless his heart, he couldn't bear it... thinking of me out there walking all by my lonesome self. I was happy to see him. The sun had popped out and it looked to be gorgeous, so we finally got to do a little early evening drive around the area.


In another spot, more pines and cypress.
 Just beautiful in this unexpected light.




More brilliant evening light with trees.
And there is Panicle way in the background...


  I am anxious to get out and about more over the next couple of days. We just hope the forecast is correct, and we'll get some real sunshine for a while.


Panicle in the early evening light yesterday.
The sun pops out for just a moment, so I try to be ready for it.


  Hey, it's all good, and we wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now. This past year has been stressful, and taking an afternoon drive in this beautiful countryside is much needed medicine.
  I'll take whatever we can get, believe me, and am always, always... filled with gratitude to be so lucky in this enchanted life of ours.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful photos, Janelle! Those Umbrella Pines remind me of Monterey Pines.

    Good for you for getting out and about despite the weather. I'm with you, sometimes I just gotta MOVE.

    ReplyDelete