Sunday, September 26, 2021

More Moments...Art in Florence


We've been back home at The Nut now for a couple of days, but I still wanted to post some moments from our time in Florence...

It really was a nice side trip, and we can't thank our friends enough for letting us use their voucher for Kraft Hotel. The hotel is way nicer than places we normally stay, so what a special treat.

We're sad they couldn't make the trip, but thrilled they thought of us to gift it to!
Again...
Grazie Mille, Dee & Sasha!!



The requisite hotel elevator Mirror Shot!


For three days, we just walked the streets, visiting favorite spots, and finding new places. 
For me, it's just a treasure trove of photo opportunities....



One of many frame shops we spotted.



Waiting outside as Johnny did some shopping for art supplies at his favorite place.





Evening in the piazza. Such great people watching!



So nice to be in Florence without the massive crowds.

 


Time for a Spritz!

Campari for me, Aperol for Mr. J.



Another evening, another favorite spot for wine.


We visited The Uffizzi for the first time in over 20 years...again, taking advantage of less people traveling. We booked an early time slot, and had the place to ourselves, for the most part.

Here is a piece that particularly touched me...



BEATO ANGELICO
The Pontassieve Madonna
Tempera on wood 134x59
c. 1435

There was just something so extraordinary about the eyes of both the Madonna and the Child...
Plus, the loving way they are touching each other...I don't know. Maybe it has to do with me losing my Mom recently...
Most of the 'babies' in these paintings are pretty scary and/or creepy...but this was just lovely.






I also really enjoyed seeing this trippy dome in a side room. The cupola looked like it was made of glass bottle bottoms, and then there is this super cool inlay of maybe oyster shell? Not sure, but I loved the light and textural contrasts...






Not the best close up, but you get the idea...mosaic of some type of shell.



Great detail.


Because I'm a fan of installation and conceptual artworks, I was happy to see some works by Giuseppi Penone, a contemporary Italian artist we've seen exhibits of before.
There were several works scattered throughout  The Uffizzi, as well as a few huge pieces outside around the piazza.

His works a lot with natural materials, and these pieces were my favorites...


Here, he takes trunks of dead trees down to the core, which is just an amazing concept to me.




We saw this piece at the Venice Biennale a few years ago.
I loved it then, and was excited to see it again.


But...just as stunning were these massive canvases. There were maybe 3 or 4 of them, and I didn't know what they were until I got up really close. (no...I didn't set off any alarms. This time....)


At first I thought it was an old map or something...
This was huge.




These are acacia tree thorns. Thousands of them.
I love this!




Anyway, it was loads of fun to see some art, old and new.

Here are some moments just walking around on a pretty day...in Florence...

















And, as always, we made our pilgrimage to the Church of Santa Felicita to warm ourselves in the glow of the artist Jacopo Carucci, simply known as 'Pontormo'....



Sublime.




Other Worldly...

That's it for Florence.

We are happily tucked back into our Nut, waiting for some much needed rain, and thinking we might run to the weekly market for veg and flowers, before the showers start.


I'll keep posting!

Thanks for being there, Dear Readers...

No comments:

Post a Comment