Wednesday, September 23, 2015

When Things Go Wonky


  So anyway, today, our first full day here in Venice, we saw that the weather would be a little iffy….some rain, for sure. Warm, no real wind, but by about ten o'clock, it started coming down in a soft but steady shower.
  I can't believe I don't have a jacket, coat or even a real sweater…

  We thought we'd head to an area known as the Zattere, where there were several Biennale spots to visit, as well as Punta Della Dogana, a space which houses an amazing collection of contemporary art. All opened at ten, so the timing was perfect with the rain coming down…
  


A shot from La Dogana across the Grand Canal.
Clouds looming.




  I was excited to see this exhibit, which we were going to after La Dogana. We passed the entrance as we walked down the Zattere.
  It ended up being a rather long very interesting and bizarre (in a good way) video piece. I just loved this poster….had to have this shot.




What's not to like?



  I love the spaces inside La Dogana. It was the customs and taxation building for the salt trade back in the day. The old bricks are so textural, and the large open rooms are perfect for installation art...




A massive chandelier above an odd work, 'Moon Face'.




That's 'Moon Face'…….





   There was this great installation of gold spray-painted cardboard boxes.
  Danh Vo, the creator of this and many other works in the show, is also one of the the curators of this exhibit, "Slip Of The Toungue"


The cardboard was so nice, but the mix of rusted tools and chains made it extra cool for me.
I just love this kind of thing.
"Untitled" 2015.




I also loved this mash-up of garden sculptures. This was one of two in the show.
Didn't know it was the beginning of the end...



  Yeah, the garden sculptures were great…nice combo of pieces, perfect patina…I was going to take a photo of the second one, but something went wonky…..

  Wonky with my camera, that is. Yes, fine readers of Live Pronto…my always ready/steady camera died…. MID-SHOW! DAY ONE!
  Early in the day, too, damn it. Jeez, camera, couldn't you have waited another week or so? 
  How did I know she'd conked out?

  Well, I wanted to see how the next shot came out, as the lighting was tricky…and this is what I saw on my bitty little screen:
  
  


The reflection of a sheet of gold leaf really blew my camera's mind.
Too bad, it was a cool piece.



  I tried a few more shots….And go figure...
  I liked 'em! 

  So, as often happens when you are on an adventure, when some type of shit hits the fan, you make yourself some limoncello out of lemons, and write a post that features pix from your now busted (and much loved) camera. 


  So here's my take on several works featured in this really fabulous show. 

  

































  Aren't these great? Wait, don't answer. 
  Let's just say..I think they're great.














  In reality….. though I loved what I was seeing in my little camera screen, I still had hopes that something would turn out in the uploading process. I mean something more focused and all…
  So I went ahead and took pictures of our lunch at the Peggy Guggenheim Museum cafe.

  Since you can't really tell, we are enjoying vegetable omelets with some french fried potatoes.
  What a hoot...















  Saw the newly restored Jackson Pollack "Peggy Guggenheim" mural, too. But no photos allowed.

  Then, we were on a hunt for a new camera. And by the way, not an easy task in Venice…it's all tourist shops and high end clothing, etc. 
  We walked off those fries, I'm telling you. Then finally…came across a camera shop! What luck!




The last shot from my old, dear, long weary camera…
The camera that has been on so many adventures over the past decade…
Sigh. I heart you, camera.



  Then we met our new best friend ever- Evelyn!
  Dear Evelyn, she spent so much time with us, helping choose something not too pricey, not too difficult…not too cheap…
  I now have a lovely new camera, which took this photo of Evelyn at the shop she works in.
  




What a sweetheart…
Grazie Mille, Evelyn…Abbracci!!!


This is the spot!
Ramo dei Fuseri-San Marco #1805,
 if you need a camera.


  I can now look forward to posting more ART! FOOD! TRAVEL! STUFF I LIKE!!!
  As always…Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment