Friday, April 26, 2019

A Visit To Lago di Bolsena




  Last week we took an overnight road trip to south western Tuscany to visit some small villages I'd always wanted to see...
  My last post is about our first day in the area, and on day two we got up and out early to drive back home. We went a different route home in order to visit Lago di Bolsena, a large lake in the area...another place I've wanted to see for years.
  This gorgeous lake did not disappoint...On first view, I could tell it was very different from our nearby Lago Trasimeno...



First glimpse of Lago di Bolsena...

  This lake is very deep and clear, with black 'volcanic' sand along the bottom and shoreline.





  We stopped at several places along the shore. I imagine this place is a zoo when it's hot. During the summer I'm certain people are all around, swimming, soaking up the sun, etc.
  It's beautiful, blue and cold!











  There are two uninhabited, private islands on the lake, as well as some lovely little villages. We really enjoyed our slow drive around...






One of the islands...



...the other island.

  Of course we stopped for some late morning proseco!






  We took time to stroll into Marta, one of the villages right on the lake.






Really pretty town, with a nice harbor.


  We wound way up the hill, the best way to get back home, and enjoyed the view from the top.
Here, you can really see how far up we went. It was so cool to see the lake from this angle!












  The whole area is well known for hiking...











  Before heading on our way, I had to stop for this last photo...a few gnomes for my photo collection.
I just can't help myself sometimes...



  All in all, a wonderful trip. Perfect weather really made it special.

No comments:

Post a Comment