Sunday, April 28, 2019

Pasta For Two


  Last spring when we were here in Umbria, I bought a pasta making board and a nice long pasta rolling pin, called a 'matterello' in Italian. I weenied out and never used them....

  This year, Johnny threatened to leave me FOREVER...if I didn't try them out, so  finally did, and the results were pretty damn awesome.
  My first try at tagliatelle here at The Nut with said instruments were a solid B+... Maybe even an A!

Just enough ingredients for two portions...2 eggs and 200 grams of flour.


Flour ready for eggs on my wooden pasta board.



Two farm fresh eggs from just down the way...



Mix it all up with fork...then start kneading by hand.


  I learned the hard way last year...don't knead the dough too long! I tried to make cavatelli, and it ended up like little rocks, once cooked. 
  This time, I just kneaded the dough for about five minutes, then let it rest for only another 5-10 minutes. Also, I didn't put it in the fridge to rest, just on the counter.







Good to let rest.

  I rolled the dough out really thin with my rolling pin. Thin enough to "flutter' when  lifted a corner and blew under it. This is a secret I learned watching a zillion episodes of 'Pasta Grannies' on You Tube...A must watch!



Me in my small but mighty Umbrian kitchen.
Pasta just about ready to cut. See my cool pasta board?


  Next, I floured the dough so it wouldn't stick, then I rolled one side towards the other side, then rolled the other side. 
  Get it?





  Next, I cut it in strips...





  Then you 'fluff' the strips out and dust them with more flour so they don't stick...





Pasta!!!

  I made four little pasta nests, and set them on a clean dish towel to dry out a bit.



Tagliatelle!


  Ta-Da! Perfect with a nice sauce. In this case, a store bought red pepper and parmesan sauce that was so perfect with this pasta.





  I have to say, the pasta took way less than an hour to make, start to finish, including clean-up. In fact, I made an even better second batch this evening. I'm thrilled to finally be doing this again!
  A perfect way to kill an hour while waiting for a storm to pass over! Plus, Johnny was so happy.
  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment